• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Making a 2.3 faster

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Even on spray I'd have to be present for the dyno runs to believe that...

Because a 2.3 doesn't spin all that well, and without an esslinger head doesn't flow all that well and well before any possible torque/rpm combination would produce 500hp that crank would come out of that block like a torpedo out of a submarine

Now on MEthanol, turbocharged with spray if you can live with bringing spare engines to the track with you 400hp is possible... though not particularly reliable... but then probably only if you are "Turbo Joe" Morgan

AD
You don't know 2.3's. You can push 800 hp from the stock block. It takes a big turbo and high dollar parts, but its doable. 450 hp is safe with stock cranks and rods. All you have to do is put good pistons in it.

Last edited:

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
If you go the turbo way, try to find an SVO stang or t-bird...that way you have everything needed, including a block and rotating assembly that can handle bigger numbers before going "POP".
Wrong, the rotating assemblies are identical, as are the blocks. The only thing that's different is the pistons.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
I'm tired of seeing people say the 5.0 swap is easier, and cheaper, I call bullsh!+. First off, to but a good 5.0, and trans you're looking at what, 600-1000??? You can pick up a turbo coupe motor. harness and ecu for 400-800. So right out of the box you have the potential for less cost. And it drops strait in! Do you know what stock hp is in and old EFI 5.0? 235... Stock turbo coupe hp in 88? 205. So right off you're close to the same power. The only thing you need to do the turbo motor if you get it complete is a fuel pump.

To do the 5.0, you need motor mounts, trans mount, wrirng, fuel system mods, a lot of custom fabricating to make it all fit. Also do you know the safe hp of a stock 5.0 block?? 550 hp. After that an aftermarket block is needed because the stock one cracks in half. You can get 800-900 from a bone stock 2.3 block. Tell me if the 2.3 makes sense to keep. Like I said before the stock turbo coupe motor will handle 450 hp before the stock crank and rods fail.

ShotnVA777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You're a premium member, a TECHNICIAN, yattayattayatta, but yet you tell this man to do THIS???

2.3's can be made fast, VERY FAST! I'm in the middle of building one out of the truck right now and the "performance supplies" are ENDLESS!

I just don't get why people HATE on the 2.3 Lima?!

Honestly, if I had the money to pick up an SVT 5.0/4.6/WHATEVER or a 2.3L Turbo, I would grab the Turboed Motor and drop the rest of the money (that I would've spent on that V8) on the 2.3 and be making peoples eyes POP when they see a damn Ranger run by them...

Don't run it down a hill, go find that hill and do whatever you can afford to be able to CLIMB that bastard! Lol
I'm tired of seeing people say the 5.0 stotally aeasier, and cheaper, I call bullsh!+. First off, to but a good 5.0, and trans you're looking at what, 600-1000??? You can pick up a turbo coupe motor. harness and ecu for 400-800. So right out of the box you have the potential for less cost. And it drops strait in! Do you know what stock hp is in and old EFI 5.0? 235... Stock turbo coupe hp in 88? 205. So right off you're close to the same power. The only thing you need to do the turbo motor if you get it complete is a fuel pump.

To do the 5.0, you need motor mounts, trans mount, wrirng, fuel system mods, a lot of custom fabricating to make it all fit. Also do you know the safe hp of a stock 5.0 block?? 550 hp. After that an aftermarket block is needed because the stock one cracks in half. You can get 800-900 from a bone stock 2.3 block. Tell me if the 2.3 makes sense to keep. Like I said before the stock turbo coupe motor will handle 450 hp before the stock crank and rods fail.
I totally agree , hell, there's street legal NA RANGERS and STANGS running almost 300hp. My goal is 180-200hp on an NA motor, daily driven but used as the track Ranger on track day

Wander1900

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here is a site that you can get 585hp out of a 2.3l engine on an engine dyno but the cost and time 8s not worth it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals