• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Magnaflow WTF

GirlWithARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I''m new to this forum. I've owned 2 Ford Rangers in the past, and absolutely loved them, but I am not exactly an expert when it comes to trucks and mechanical issues... Anyway, I just purchased a used 2004 Ford Ranger. I got a good deal on it, but I don't like the Magnaflow exhaust the kid I bought it from had installed. It sounds cool at idle, but when ever I accelerate it is very loud and has an annoying drone. To be honest, I didn't realize how annoying it was until after I had bought the truck. I'm just wondering how I can go about fixing this. Is there a part I can add to quiet it down? Is there something I can remove? Bear in mind I know absolutely nothing about exhaust systems. I'm just looking for a quick (preferably inexpensive) fix. Thanks, guys.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If you're more concerned with the drone sound and not the volume you can simply add a bolt on resonator tip. Resonators don't quiet the exhaust they only change the pitch to reduce the annoying drone effect. The bolt on ones are like 20 bucks and you can install it yourself in 2 minutes. Ones welded on closer to the muffler are obviously going to work better but then you need to pay a shop to do it.

If you truely want to quiet the system down you need to get an OEM style muffler/tailpipe assembly.

GirlWithARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The noise volume doesn't bother me so much as the tone, as you suggested. I'm wondering if there is a particular resonator tip you have used and/or would recommend...? Thanks for the suggestion, by the way. This sounds like it might be a good solution for me.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Cant help you with brand or anything since I've personally never used them. I'm a stock exhaust kinda guy lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals