• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Maf?

Jadenjdawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a weird issue, which i have come to believe to be an MAF problem. 98 4.0 with automatic transmission. Sometimes, if I idle for ten minutes or so, the idle becomes extremely rough. It will carry on once you take off, for the next 20 or 25 miles, and run very rough at all speeds. Then, it goes away and will purr like a kitten, until i Idle for ten minutes or so again. It happens sometimes daily, and sometimes once every couple weeks. The other day i was changing plugs and wires, and unplugged the MAF sensor because it was in the way. When I was done, I forgot to plug in the MAF sensor, and the engine ran great, idled better than ever and ran great on the road. The only problem was the transmission acted wired between first and second, and second and third. I plugged the MAF sensor back in, and the transmission wierdness went away, but the goofy idle and loss of power came back. Does this sound like a bad MAF sensor, or something else?

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Try cleaning it and see what happens.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, clean the MAF sensor
Read here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/CleanMAF.shtml

When the MAF sensor is unplugged the computer(which also controls the shift solenoids in the trans) goes into "limp" mode, it means the computer believes there is a major failure but instead of shutting down everything it allows driver to "limp home".
Transmission shifting is also in Limp mode

You should have also gotten a CEL(check engine light) while running with MAF sensor unplugged?
If you didn't get a CEL then it could mean another issue

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals