• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5R1 Rebuild Problems

orangealpine

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
In the middle of rebuilding a Duratec M5 and am having problems. The main shaft has been removed form the case, but we can't budge the 3-4 synchronizer hub and cannot see the problem. The spilt ring keeper has been removed. Do I need to put it in a press or is it supposed to slide off? Hate to use force when it is not necessary.

Second question, the trans is being torn down because the 2nd gear synchro is essentially non operative. While I have not been able to remove it, the brass ring looks fine. What else could be causing the problem?

Bill

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
All the speed gears and synchro hubs have to be pressed off.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Whats a Duratech M5? Mazda makes the transmission, just sayin.

orangealpine

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Whats a Duratech M5? Mazda makes the transmission, just sayin.
Good question. In this case, it is an M5R1 that bolts to the Duratec 2.3 engine. I don't know if this transmission is any different than the one used with Lima engine, so I was trying to give the gurus an idea of what I'm working on.

Mazda makes the tranny and designed the engine, if that makes any difference.

Bill

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
In the middle of rebuilding a Duratec M5 and am having problems. The main shaft has been removed form the case, but we can't budge the 3-4 synchronizer hub and cannot see the problem. The spilt ring keeper has been removed. Do I need to put it in a press or is it supposed to slide off? Hate to use force when it is not necessary.

Second question, the trans is being torn down because the 2nd gear synchro is essentially non operative. While I have not been able to remove it, the brass ring looks fine. What else could be causing the problem?

Bill
It's tight but doesn't need to be pressed

Hold the shaft in your hand by the output end.

Placing a chunk of lumber on the floor now SLAM the shaft down (input end DOWN) against the block of wood.

a shot or two and it should come right off. SOME of them slip off when the retainer is removed.

Do be aware that the synchro collar if not removed before hand will go FLYING (along with the keys)
if you don't remove it first

AD

Last edited:

orangealpine

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, we got it all disassembled and surprise! - everything looked fine. I ordered a basic rebuild kit anyway. Parts arrived yesterday. I compared the old and new first and second gear synchro rings and find about 5 thou of wear. I say "about" as there is two-three thou variation in both the old and new parts. The other replaceable synchro parts look fine.

Is that enough to cause synchro failure? The second gear synchro was barely operable, if the double clutch was not spot on, it would grind like crazy. Is there something else that could (or is likely) causing the problem, or should I just reassemble?

Bill

homesculptor

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
heavy
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm having problems finding a rebuild kit for the year 2004. I'm not sure what year mine changed, but the newer transmission has multi piece gears on 2 and I think a few other changes, and I don't know if the synchros are the same. I can't get any answers on this. Anybody have to build an 04 transmission?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals