• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lowered with stock shocks?

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, when I bought my truck it was lowered with coils up front and leafs out back. I have been told that it looks like a 2/4 drop (not for sure on that). The shocks that are in it have explorer written on them in black marker, maybe from a junk yard? Are explorer shocks the same size as my stockers? It is riding quite rough, to the point where my girlfriend won't ride in it because she says it gives her a headache. I don't know if this is because it is lowered and has stock shocks still or because those shocks are hammered. I am trying to decide whether I want to put in shocks made for this drop, or put in all the stock parts with new shocks.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
i believe that stock shocks will bottom out with that set up. that would likely be the cause of the rough ride.

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's what I was thinking. Where is a good place to shop for some replacements for my setup? Or a couple good names to check out and I'll do the shopping. Thanks.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Most likely the shock are worn out. But either way if you do get new replacement shocks like what are on there they will wear out quicker on you.

I would get yourself a nice lowered shock, I had a set of DJM Calamax shocks on my Ranger for about 6 months and I liked them.

However alot of the lowered Rangers like to use Belltech Nitro Active shocks. Most likely some of the best out there, but can not fully vouch for it, but I would recomend them.

You got any pictures of the truck ? Might be able to help abit on what the setup is for you ?

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Wow I am sorry that you have gone this long with that ride quality. The pistures almost look like the leafs he gave you have one of the leafs taken out. I could be wrong but it never hurts to check them to a stock pair. Just brows the junk yard and it will show you.

The ride is most likely caused from worn out shocks and you might have a bad set of leafs in it to.

How many leafs are in the pack on the truck ?

And as long as things are dropped properly there should be no abnormal wear on other components.

Let me see what else I can find and if you could get some more pictures, maybe some of the leafs on the truck and possibly the front coils ?

But the way it sits she looks purty, but I can only imagine the ride.

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I will try to get back to you with that info.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Cool, Anythnig yet ? I have been a little busy with work the last few days, but I will try to see what my factory equipment looks like tonight

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nope nothing yet. All I've done is decided that I'm going to put in the stock equipment sometime (as long is its all good). I'm in the process of moving so I have stuff all over the place and nowhere to do any work yet. If you find out how many leafs are in your truck, I might be able to dig mine out of the garage to see if they match up to what you've got. Thanks for checking back!

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Alright I should have some time tomorrow so I will get the info to you then.

Man you should not put it back to stock. :sad: But if you do you have to promise that when you get the money you will lower it the right way :D

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Hey I got out to my garage today and checked my stock 05 leafs and there are 4 springs in the pack. So I am thinking that the set he gave you, being it only has 3, He first lowered the rear by removing the middle leaf.

Now however that does get you a good drop but a terrible ride. That could be how yours is dropped now too.

But if you still want to drop it some, you can take the two leaf packs apart, the ones on the truck and the ones in your garage, pull the a leaf out of the one of them and install it in the ones you plan on putting on the truck.

That should put you about factory then. And then you can flip the rear hangers and level the truck out with the front.

Then get your self some new drop shocks, and you should be good to go.

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
My Ranger had only 3 leaves in stock form. I did remove the middle leaf at one point on the stock set and you would know if that was the case. The rear will be very soft and will keep sagging over time. If those pics are of your leaves than they look stock or are dropped leaves.

Check your bumps stops. You may be riding too close to them and that can give you a ruff ride for sure. I have mine cut in half right now and have had no problems since doing that.

A two inch change in suspension doesn't warrent new shocks. You can get away with using the stocks length w/o issue. I am currently running KYB MonoMax shocks up front on my Ranger since the I-beams don't change the length of the shock at all. I love these shocks for the front. I still have Toxic Shocks on the rear for the drop out back. They will be getting replaced with a step down from the MonoMax's once I have time to do some research on shock lengths.

With my truck dropped as low as it is, I wouldn't consider it smooth but it's not so ruff that no one likes to ride in it. On the highway it smooths out real nice, even surprised my old boss and he was picky.

Check your bump stops and change out your shocks. Let us know what happens.

James

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks for checking on that stuff. What do I do to check a bump stop? I'm unfamiliar with them.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Above the axle on the frame should be a small block of rubber. It is there to keep the axle from hitting the frame, which if the axle is hitting them it will make the ride purty rough.

So you could cut them down to give you a little more clearance or if worse comes to worse you can notch the frame with a bolt in C notch to give you back factory ride clearance.

Another question ? I know it does not look like it but does you axle sit on top of the springs or below them ?

Other than that I would not imagine the bump stops being a problem unless there is something else wrong on the truck, inside the springs.

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
I rode pretty close to mine when I had just the 2" coils on. As soon as I cut them down it was a different ride all together. The stops are on the frame rails, above the rear axle and above the I-Beams up front. I unbolted them and just used a saws-all to cut them in half. Smelled like poop LOL.

James

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals