• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Low buck 5.0 truck

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does it mount in the same way at all? My recollection was that they were completely different.
Explorer has a very different rear frame, I would be very surprised if it would actually bolt into a Ranger.

malachipclover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting, I'll have to take a look at it next time I'm home. So assuming I can't reuse the Explorer tank, if I understand this correctly I need to take the in-tank pump out of the Explorer and put it in to the Ranger, and also take the return line and transfer it to the Ranger? Also is it possible and/or practical to try and save my existing Ranger tank that probably has collected some rain water in it or do I need to get a new one. I don't care care too much about extra time or effort, I just want to keep costs down as much as possible until I finish school.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I don't think you can even use the pump or return line from the Explorer, because they'll be both the wrong depth (tank shape) and length (wheelbase). What you -may- be able to do is grab a pump from an earlier Ranger with a return fuel system, if it shares the same tank design. I'm not clear on why you need to replace your current fuel tank other than just draining out the rain water. I'd look into adding a return line to the tank you've got and using an older pump setup.

malachipclover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys so I'm probably going to be home this weekend to work on the truck, and I know for sure I will head home next weekend and will have around a week off because of the end of my current school term. I've been trying to come up with plan of attack in my head of how to do things.

I like to be able to test everything as I go, so I think I'm going to take the entire Explorer fuel system and hook it up to the 5.0 in the Ranger as is, regardless of whether the tank fits. This will just be temporary to be able to test the engine as I work through the wiring. I'm ok with having the tank sit on the ground for a little while since it will make it much simpler by avoiding an extra variable trying to get everything to work. I will be much more careful about water this time, and once I confirm the wiring is done and working I will figure out how to do a proper fuel system.

My new question, however, is PATS. Because my Explorer is '97 so non-PATS, what do I need to do to my Ranger since it does have a PATS?('99) Because the Explorer is not expecting any PATS signal, should I just remove my PATS module? Or do I need to do more to my harness. If at all possible I would like to be able to use the Ranger key so I don't have to redo all of the locks, but I do not need the vehicle to still have PATS when it's done. I also don't have a problem with keeping PATS if it's required.

Also thanks to everyone who has helped me before, and everyone who may help in the future. I think us Ranger guys have the best online truck community there is, and I'm very proud to be a part of it.

Ryanm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If its a ffv ranger you can use the regulator from the explorer fuel pump and it will boost the pressure to around 74ish using the stock 3.0 ffv pump, that's what i did on my swap I finished a few weeks ago, I thought about putting a 4.0 pump in it but the wire connector is different on a ffv. You can do that if you have a ffv, and I don't think the explorer tank will fit it mounts on the explorer different and holds more fuel too. As for the pats I couldn't program a key to my truck, and I couldn't program one before I even started the swap, so I took the ring off of my ignition cylinder and placed the explorer key inside of it and it fired right up, I just tricked into thinking the explorer key is in it, starts everytime, let me know if I can help mine was a pretty easy swap using everyone's write up's here helps

99 3.0ffv to a 99 5.0

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
You answered your own question when you said the expo did not have pats. You should be able to start with your same ranger key and ignition while using the expo pcm unless they changed some wiring(which I am pretty sure they didn't). A little pats info. The ranger pcm gets the signal from the pats module to start the engine. The type B pats in your truck disables the fuel injectors when the signal is not received.

Ryan, in your case all you would have to do is swap the explorer pats module box in behind the passenger air bag on the ranger and crank with the expo key and your done. My ranger is a 98 and I had to wire the pats components in.

malachipclover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
All right thanks for the input. I'll let you guys know how it goes this weekend.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Ryan, in your case all you would have to do is swap the explorer pats module box in behind the passenger air bag on the ranger and crank with the expo key and your done. My ranger is a 98 and I had to wire the pats components in.
Since he's able to make it start at all, I'm assuming he did transfer the PATS box over from the Explorer, right?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Since he's able to make it start at all, I'm assuming he did transfer the PATS box over from the Explorer, right?
The only possible scenario I can think of and I'm not completely sure of is that the Box only sends the key signal to the PCM so if he already had it pats before and he's got the Explorer PCM cranking with the Explorer key then the Box just says the key matches the PCM so maybe he doesn't actually have to transfer the Explorer box or yes maybe he already swapped the box in

Ryanm21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't transfer the box from the explorer, the ranger one is the same it does what craig says it just tells the pcm what key is in the ignition so it knows if it's the right key. I didn't want to use the explorer ignition cylinder and change my locks, so I just removed the ring around my ignition cylinder and placed the explorer key in it, I just tricked it into thinking it was the right key

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Interesting. Previous documentation I'd read indicated that the module was paired to the ECM and if replaced, the ecm would have to be reprogrammed accordingly.

malachipclover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Whoa yeah, that is completely different from everything I've previously read too. So what you're saying is the PATS box is just a reader that sends the key code to the PCM, and all the actual logic for determining whether the right key is in is done by the PCM? And as an extension of that the PATS box is not tied to any specific key? This needs to be a lot more well known that I think it is if true.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Whoa yeah, that is completely different from everything I've previously read too. So what you're saying is the PATS box is just a reader that sends the key code to the PCM, and all the actual logic for determining whether the right key is in is done by the PCM? And as an extension of that the PATS box is not tied to any specific key? This needs to be a lot more well known that I think it is if true.
Yeah that is what I am thinking. It seems that the box is merely receiving the key signal from the transmitter ring and sending it through to the pcm. Which is why the explorer pcm automatically recognized its paired key in the ignition. So the pats box is only a signal converter for the pcm. This might be a damn good discovery.

Last edited:

malachipclover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Heck yeah. I distinctly remember reading something a few days ago about saving a PCM and PATS module to sell together to someone who needs a new PCM or something. This would make that not necessary as well as how that changes wiring needed to be for swaps. Which kind of brings me back to my question about my truck. Since the PATS is sending a signal to the PCM, since my Explorer PCM is not expecting any PATS signal, I'm worried that the module may somehow "confuse" the PCM by sending it anyway. That's why I asked if I should remove it

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Simply put. The pcm cannot be confused by a signal it never looks for in the first place.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals