• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Loss of power steering 1999 ford ranger xlt 4x4 4.0 ohv 5 speed.

DangerRanger99xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion bars
recently replaced the power steering pump, power steering pump pulley and serpentine belt. Power steering felt great there was no noise form the pump anymore and was very smooth with the fluid looking great. This last weekend I was backing out of the driveway turning my steering wheel counter clockwise almost to lock and hit a dip where my driveway meets the street which caused the wheel to jerk all the way to lock and bounce off of it. Immediately I had no power steering any more and struggled to get it back into my parking spot. Power steering pump isn't making any weird noises the serpentine belt isn't slipping and fluid still looks great in the pump. I jacked it up and the power steering works great with the wheels off the ground but as soon as it has load on it there is no power steering even higher RPM on road there is no power steering. By no means am I a mechanic so any help would be amazing. If you have any questions just ask please.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Just a shot in the dark but I'm guessing the pressure spike from the hitting the bump at lock was enough to knock the impeller inside the pump loose. Again, just a guess. Is it still under warranty from where ever you got it?

DangerRanger99xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion bars
i bought it through orielys so im guessing i could still take it back if that is the issue. ive got it to the point now where once you are moving it feels like there is some power steering but from a dead stop there is none. both of my power steering lines going to the cooler are leaking as well i believe high pressure line and return.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals