• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking at minor mods and major maintenance.

MADMODDER

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Hey all.

A few things I want to hit.
First off, I want to be clear in the direction I want to take this. I love OEM+. Using a superior model's OEM parts on a inferior model because they are better than the inferior model's OEM parts. I'm not against OEM parts though. I was told by many that OEM fluid is best. That's what I've been using. More on that later but I would like to get more out of my truck. Make it more truck like.

I have a 2010 Sport, 4.0, 4x4, manual with 115k miles on the clock. I've owned it for 2 years now, it had 88k when I bought it. I changed the oil when I bought it and again at 90k. Every 5k since.
I had a 02 sensor light and replaced both. I ran seafoam through it at the 90k oil change. 1/3 in a full tank, 1/3 through the intake and 1/3 through the crankcase. REALLY smoothed out the idle.

I also flushed the brake system (OEM brake fluid) and the rear brakes. Shoes drums/rotors and pads. Front brakes will be in the next month or so.

I want to do intake, exhaust, differential covers and a few other things.
I asked a while ago about various oil services (engine, trans, transfer case, diffs) the majority recommended OEM fluids, which I totally fine with, but I didn't get much feed back on differential covers or exhaust headers.

I've been looking into some diff covers and found lots of interesting info but it only pertained to full size trucks. So I'm looking for insight from those with rangers. The big name companies with large capacity covers and that bulky square design seem to be doing more harm than good. Being square with the flat ceiling and floor just beats up the oil and making work harder for no reason. The OEM covers are curved to reduce friction and resistance. Being that I'm not going to be maxing out the tow capacity regularly, I barely tow anything as is, I want a curved one. I am look at the G2 cover so if anybody has any input on that, I'd appreciate it. Is there another one you like better? I also read that the mustang diff covcer with the 8.8 rear end can be used on a ranger. It's made of cast aluminum with fine. It's an OEM plus mod.

I'd also like a a full exhaust system. Header back. I dont want to straight pipe it but I do want headers. Idk if I want to remove the cats or resonator or muffler or keep all 3 and just increase the diameter of pipe. But I cant find anything on headers for this model. Does anybody have any recommendations on them?

Intake, K&N make a kit and look good from the reviews so I'll go with that, unless they have a crucial weak point I'm not aware of.

Timing System. Does my engine have a chain or belt and is there an existing DIY? This is not something I had researched but I figured I'd ask since I'm making this post. Also, are there aftermarket cams and tunes available for my model?

While I'm in there, right?

Lastly, I just got new tires and was told I need a camber kit for my front wheels. I'll post the alignment rack results when I pick up the truck, but I was told the suspension is pretty worn. I'd rather replace that stuff than put in camber shims. Are there OEM+ suspension bits available that are more heavy duty? Maybe use F150 bushings? If not, maybe aftermarket? Idk it's why I'm asking.

I want everything I replace to be better, stronger, faster than oem if possible.

I think that's everything I wanted to cover for now.

Thank in advance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals