• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lectric window motors

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The electric window on the drivers side quit today (91 explorer sport). The motor seems to be turning but the window will only move with a little help, it seems like there is a clutch of some sort that is not working so well. I remember reading a thread a few years ago about three balls inside the gearbox that either break or flat-spot, there were even pictures. I have searched but can't find it, if anyone can remember where it is it would be much appreciated.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
In most cases you can pick up a "rebuild" kit of sorts that includes the 3 balls and the gear part. It might be a good idea to CAREFULLY remove the door panel and give the motor a good look over. Mine on the passenger side toasted itself due to a bad window seal letting water drain on it.

The motor on that side was turning into a rusted hulk.

S-

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
google "ford window motor repair" and you'll find lots of info

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The window regulator with motor is often not that expensive at a wrecking yard.
A motor or gear failure is often caused by something else, so repair will work, but might only be a temporary fix.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I agree, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of threads about ford window fixes on the net but the one that was on here was the best one and I can't find it. J/Y parts for a truck that old are hard to find around here and if they have them are usually in worse shape than the parts I have on my truck. Can't work on it at the moment anyway as it just rains and rains and then rains some more. I'll just drive the jeep until I can rip this thing apart.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
ok, I'm a little more relaxed right now...

on the ford windows just get the window motor out, but first go to the "Help!" section of your parts store and look for a little package with 3 plastic cylinders in it, should say something about Ford power windows on it... Now back to the motor, once you get it out, there'll be a sheet metal cover over the side, take that off, pull out the output gear, then clean out the plastic shrapnel that's in there. I think I did that on my explorer (I know I did it on 3 of the windows on the Lincoln I had for a short time), it's really not that hard, sometimes requires drilling a hole or two on the door skin to make room for a screwdriver to get the motor out.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thought I'd better update this with the conclusion. It finally stopped raining for a few hours so I went out and ripped the trim panel off the door and removed the motor. they weren't kidding when they said remove the schrapnel that used to be the rollers, they're was not a piece larger than a grain of rice. I was originally going to turn up some new rollers on the lathe but while I was waiting for the rain to stop I found a thread about using 6 1/4" nuts instead of the rollers so I decided to go that route, not because I'm cheap but because some parts are difficult to find around here and the language barrier is no help at all. Anyhoo, the complete operation took about half an hour and cost about a dollar. I bookmarked the page in case anyone else is interested.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals