• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

just ordered an axial scx10 jeep Rubicon. upgrades?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ordered it from towerhobbies as an rtr. Not my first Crawler had a 1/10th and 1/16th rock crawlers. Now I'm looking for a trail rig. First off It looks to me like this thing has rather short shocks and not much travel. Ill find out when I get them and probably order something north of 100mm. Possibly even 120.

Any one drive one of these? Nearly the same thing as the honcho. Should be fun.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
They look really cool, very detailed, I just haven't gotten into the "scale" wheelin. I'm a nitro guy, but I defiantly would love to get my hands on one of those.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would love to get a honcho... too many other things on my plate though. :dntknw:

Hayden1234

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 cl 2.3 liter
Transmission
Manual
I have the honcho and there is some stuff you NEED to do if you want to have good runs
1st all your plastic links need to go, it's easy to make metal ones or buy new metal ones, look up homemade links by dribble on your tube.
2nd your gunna want new shocks, I don't know about yours but my stock ones leaked and sages alot.
3rd steering links need to be beefed up, I would just buy a steering link kit, it's 20-30 bucks I think
4th waterproof, I ran mine before I waterproofed and it was fun but that mud called my name, so if you don't know how to do that look up rcsparks how to waterproof a rc truck

I hope I helped a little bit, if you need anymore just ask away and I will try to help out

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So once I got this thing I ran it for a day before I put on my 2.2 tires. Which greatly improved the stability. And made it look cool plus they were a custom cut so they grabbed amazing. But I quickly took them off as it wasn't realistic and the 1.9 Maxis trepadors also grab amazing and are the same size. Plus I get better run times with the skinnier tire.

Then I cut off the bumpstops for a little more articulation. While I was there I tore down the entire rig and swapped my rear links, and steering over from my exceed 1/10. When going up stairs or similiar the plastic links will fold.

I did try to replace the front 3 link with my exceed 4 link. But the are a little too different. The axial has a curve that exceed doesn't have. I did get them to bolt on but it was a wonky fit and I felt that it would strip out the holes. I have not had any problems with the front 3 link bending.

Shortly after I did buy an onyx 4200 may battery and a thunder ac680.

That charger is the BEST RC car investment I've made. So many different plugs for it. Only one I can think of that it doesn't have is deans plug adapters. I paid 66$ on amazon with free shipping. I highly recommend it to any one. I run 2 battery's and by the time I kill 1 the other is charged. Oh and the 4200 may I run a trail at hells gate state park. Its a hiking trail. At walking pace it takes 3-4 hours and the 4200 will drive the whole thing. Believe it to be about 8 miles. And then still run the hills for 10-15 minutes. And it charges in about 15 minutes.

After this I just played with it. ALOT.

I currently do have the slider taken off to shorten them. They hang up alloy because there so wide. And I'm putting leds in the bumpers.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And I need another radio transmitter. I currently don't have the funds to buy a 20$ model off exceed. Ill pull out the 2.2 and snap a pic of the 1.9 and 2.2 together

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got pictures of the tires and links together. Plus found some other photos.

Yes those are the trepadors.

Difference in link sizes. Also noticed today that the front drive shaft has been rubbing on my 3 link.

My custom cut tires with the trepador in the middle. The smaller tire is the custom cut 1.9 I got with a 1/16th scale exceed Crawler. Then the 1.9 trepador next to it and them the exceed 1/10th Crawler 2.2.

Those are stock shocks on there. I put mt rock Crawler shocks on and it was too tall. I think there 135 mm. I think stock shocks at 95mm so around a 110 would be good for articulation

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I put on my rock Crawler shocks and put on the stock springs. That kept the ride heigth the same. And it also had a very small amount of up travel. And about 5x travel in the rear overall. Does off camber situation way better. My 27t stopped working. Put in the 55. Way slower. Fixed the 27t. Soaked my tires for 2 days in liquid wrench. Made them way softer. And I'm painting parts ATM. Pics later. Then more action shots

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals