• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just bought a 4d55t truck, some questions...

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
So, i was looking for a 4x4 ranger with the lima engine in it. Called a guy to ask him what engine was in his truck (wasnt specified in the ad) he told me it was a 2.9. i was about to hang up, and he tells me he got an old diesel truck sitting in his backyard. The truck is a RUST BUCKET, but the engine, tranny and t-case works fine.

I plan on swapping engine and trans in a 1987 ranger i found (not bought it yet) with a good body.

is the diff ratio is different from the 2.9 on the diesel truck, makin it undriveable?

would you swap engine and tranny as a unit? will it required mods?

the thing is . the truck i have my eyes on got tranny problems.

first, i was thinking of a body swap, but the diesel truck sat for 2 years behind his barn. the brakes works fine but suspension, brake lines, wirings etc could be a problem. and i'd like to drive it before the snow... (wich leave me a couple of weeks at best!)

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it'll bolt in to an '87.use the trans that's on the diesel,3.45 is a common ratio with the 2.3td and is likely what's in the '87,but any common stock ratio is likely going to be ok.

this is an easy swap with a complete donor truck and i'd do it in a second if all the parts came available to me.my first ranger was a 4d55 and i loved it.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
thanks man:icon_thumby:

i'm going to see the 87 tomorrow after work, long drive... oh well....

would you swap engine and transmission as a unit? the guy of the 87 told me the drive shaft warped, i guess his t-case jammed.... the trans is stuck in 3rd.

i guess i should swap in trans and t case first, then put the engine in...

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You do realize that the diff ratio and the engine are not a matched set, right? This seems to be a common misconception as many people believe that we can divine the rear end gears simply from knowing which engine and transmission are in the vehicle.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
i,m not sure what you mean... i know a bit about gear ratio. what i'm askin is if the stock gear ford put under a truck with a 2.9 are adequate for the 2.3. i don't want a sluuuugish truck (the 4d55 isnt a powerhouse to start with...)

for exemple, jeep puts 4.10 gears behind their 4 bangers...

well, you're right. but there are always more common gear options...

i guess i'll see it when i'll drive ity:D

Last edited:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
would you swap engine and transmission as a unit? the guy of the 87 told me the drive shaft warped, i guess his t-case jammed.... the trans is stuck in 3rd.
the trans and t-case are the same ones used behind the gas motors in those years,only the bellhousing is different(it bolts on).

pick the best bits from both trucks and you should be able to put everything together in a long weekend.a short weekend if you're quick:icon_thumby:

fte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
With the diesel, you would want a taller gear if you had a choice. I swapped my 3.73 for 3.45 and have 29in tires to get the diesel motor I have in it's power band.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
well, looks like i'm in for some serious bodywork, the 87 was filled with plastic...

Last edited:

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
I can't seem to find lots of info by searching. I usually know my way around a forum.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
what about a 1990? i know they didnt use the same tranny anymore. but can i swap the diesel engine and trans in there without modifications? are the slave cylinder works the same? ok... took me a bit but i found the swap thread i was looking for. reverse... fm145 to m5odr1

Last edited:

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
With the diesel, you would want a taller gear if you had a choice. I swapped my 3.73 for 3.45 and have 29in tires to get the diesel motor I have in it's power band.
witch engine do you have? do you know at witch rpm the 2.3 is at his best?

And it will be a body swap for now.... there will be some frame repair to do but i'll keep an eye open for a solid gen1 4x4

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
what about a 1990? i know they didnt use the same tranny anymore. but can i swap the diesel engine and trans in there without modifications? are the slave cylinder works the same? ok... took me a bit but i found the swap thread i was looking for. reverse... fm145 to m5odr1
If you take everything including all the hydraulics it should work. The differences between an 84 and a 90 are mostly cosmetic.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you take everything including all the hydraulics it should work. The differences between an 84 and a 90 are mostly cosmetic.
the bigger issue would be the transmission.the bellhousing used behind the 2.3td was made to bolt on to the fm 145/146,so converting to the m5od will require a bit more than bolt-up type of work.

the 145/146 will bolt into the 1990 frame,though.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
just tought i could use my tranny t-case in a newer truck? lets say til 1994?are the frames and crossmembers the same? from what i have read, but i'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals