• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jumped off into the 3.0

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I keep getting error codes due to a broken bolt on the exhaust manifold. It is either blowing out or sucking air in and showing a lean code. I have been dealing with it until last week. I have a injector or two that have failed or plugged up. I tore this thing down, I have ordered new Ford injectors. I pulled the head to drill out and repair the broken bolt. Come to find out I have one on each side broken. While it's down I decided to port the heads, intake and exhaust manifolds. I am not keeping this motor so I did not order headers.
I have come to the understanding that not much improvement will be made. I will say upfront that the lower intake and exhaust manifolds are more of the lack of power issues than the heads are. The heads are hopeless by design. If a guy was really determined replacing the valves to a race style would also help. I am simply entertaining myself with this and I will also wrap these manifolds to help to keep head down under the hood till I do my replacement swap. I have ET and speed numbers from when the truck was running it's best. I will check for improvements when done. I will also post pictures of the porting work.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Did they measure your ET with a sun dial? :icon_rofl:

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
A step above that lol, it's called a V-Box

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Don't wrap the manifolds, they already hold too much heat. The key is a freer flowing exhaust to get the heat out quicker. I'd make sure the face of the manifold is flat, if it's warped the fix will be temporary. Stainless steel manifold bolts stand up to heat better- that's how Ford fixed the 302/351 manifold bolt problem in the 80's and the 5.4/6.8's in more recent years. Unfortunately if a stainless bolt ever breaks you'll need a cobalt bit to drill it out.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Just cause we are in the moment with this, I think I saw where gutting the cats was useless? What's the thought here? Also in factory form, the passenger side manifold is less restrictive.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The stock exhaust flows better than the heads ever can. So the only thing gutting the cats will do for you is cause a constant check engine light.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
From what I have read the heads have decent ports, and they look appropriate in pictures I've seen, so I'm not sure where the restrictive heads idea comes from. They're only 2-valve so there are certainly limitations. My 3.0 makes exactly 3/4 the power of an SOHC 4.0, so it's hard to imagine the heads are a restriction.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals