• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

It isnt always the filler hose.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Check out some plastic 'welding' as shown on youtube. I have been using a 'woodburning' iron lately to weld plastics back together with some success. You would want to match the plastic type used to construct the tank. Heck if you clean the surrounding surface and roughen it up with some sandpaper/emery, you could use a hot glue gun(with fuel-resistant glue sticks) to attach a patch over the damaged area.
Critters have chewed through the oil light wire and taken the 'shorting plug' completely from one car. They left enough wire I was able to use a spade-type crimp-on terminal to connect back together(I think...), so the spark timing can be computer controlled rather than fixed.
HDPE will melt at 350F(milk carton plastic) but I do not know if fuel will damage it over time. I DO know that engine oil will eventually cause porosity and rust-proof your garage floor if you store used engine oil in plastic milk cartons. I would likely try the plastic used in oil containers. That used in gallon or 5-quart jugs seems thicker and better than the one-quart plastic, perhaps thick enough to be 'welded' to the tank successfully.
If you do weld, get a fan blowing across the opening. It will dissipate any fumes from the tank so you don't have a combustible mixture, AND will dissipate any smoke from the 'welding', and keep it away from inhalation. Some fumes are POISONOUS.
tom

ps the best way to keep critters from eating is to move the vehicle irregularly. Don't let them get the impression it will remain in one spot, and they won't try to move in and have dinner...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals