• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ignition switch?

lyndo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
just brought my 85 ranger back to life. It will not run unless I hold the key in the barley start position, not enough to engage the starter but beyond the run position. hart to drive a straight drive with one left hand. When I first got it it would die sometimes, then start right back up and go on. cleaned some grounds and it seemed better. then I found if it did the intermittent knock off , I could touch the key just a bit and it would keep running. then I would flip the key ring over the top of the key holder and lett the other keys hang off the back side. I seem to remember a there were two ignition wires, one for starting and one for run. Your thoughts?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The key cylinder is not the ignition switch

Ignition switch is on the under side of steering column above brake pedal area

The key cylinder has a gear on the end, and that gear slides a rod, the actuator rod, when you turn the key, that rod runs down to the ignition switch
The Ignition switch is a slide switch, that the rod moves into its 4 positions, ACC, OFF, RUN, START

Could be ignition switch is just worn out, the contacts, I would pull it out and have a look

There should just be the one Yellow wire from engine bay to the ignition switch, it does split at the ignition switch to 2 or 3 attachment points

lyndo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
update. I went out and messed w/ it and had the thought about the key vs ignition switch. I notice when I put it in run position the emision light and one below it would not stay on. I kept playing with it until the dummy lights stayed on. fired up and stayed running, unless i hit a bump. thanks for your input , I will have a look tomorrow

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals