• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ignition condenser ??

Katchenup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Hi, new to the group ! I have a one owner 1989 ranger 2.3. Recently changed the 8 spark plugs, then coil packs. My question is, what is the "condenser " looking part that bolts to a coil bolt, one wire. Can someone tell me what it does, what it is called, anything ?? Thanks

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
it is actually a small capacitor. it's used to eliminate hi-frequency electrical noise in the ignition circuit.

"back in the day" it was standard procedure to replace the breaker points and condenser during a tune up.

Katchenup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Ok, thanks for the info. I definitely remember the old days of points & condenser, I wasn't sure about this tho. So, it won't affect the way it runs then, just noise thru the radio ?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The RFI it captures isn't good for the computer either.

Katchenup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Interesting, so it's better on the computer to not use it ? My radio volume is screwy anyway ??

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Interesting, so it's better on the computer to not use it ? My radio volume is screwy anyway ??
No, it keeps the RFI off the lines and protects the computer. Not using is it a good way to overload capacitors in the PCM.

Katchenup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll replace it tomorrow!

Charlie Cheap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011, 2016, 196
Make / Model
Ford, Ford, Sun
Engine Size
2.3, 1.6, 2.3, 200
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Be nice, you may need help later!
Computers hate electrical interference...so KEEP any capacitors you have. The one in the old dizzy was the same device but did a slightly different job from the ones on the coil, alternator and regulator. I am putting a modified dizzy in my Lima 2.3 in a sportscar with points...YES, points. Below 5000 RPM points work great on a 4-banger with hotter coil and copper plug wires...but DO NOT use copper wires on a computer engine! This is NOT to start an argument, but points by design make a longer spark than computer ignitions. That is why MSD was invented. Multiple Spark Discharge (MSD) is to simulate the longer points spark and give a better chance to ignite the fuel/air mix. Today's computers time FI input, spark timing, variable-valve timing, listen for knock, monitor O2 exhaust, MAS, MAP, and much more. Points mechanical system can't possibly do that. I am doing this in an old-school 67 Alpine with a modified 85 2.3 from a carb. Mustang...just to eliminate any computers. The A4LD overdrive will lock-up the converter with a button on the shifter...which was done by the computer originally. Just a FYI note.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals