• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

if you could have your parking brake on the front instead of the rear wheels?

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
if you could choose between having your parking brake on the front instead of the rear, would you do it?

the reason i ask is that i am putting a line-lock solenoid in-line on one of my brake lines to provide with a solid parking brake (easier than adapting e-brake cables in my situation, with much better holding force) i have done it in the past on vehicles i did rear-disc swaps on.

this time i got to thinking is there a benefit to having your parking brake on one axle as opposed to the other?

before anyone asks, i know this will not help me in the even of a brake emergency. and i know it will not hold if the battery dies

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
No, I want mine to stay in the back...easier to control a truck if you had to use the emergency brakes. Try slamming on that emergency brake and lock up that front end......not for me, Bro!!!!

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
No, I want mine to stay in the back...easier to control a truck if you had to use the emergency brakes. Try slamming on that emergency brake and lock up that front end......not for me, Bro!!!!
right, but in this case it can not be actuated without me stepping on the brake and flipping a switch. (notice how i called it a parking brake, not emergency brake) it will not help me in the event of an emergency because it only takes existing brake line pressure and holds it.

that being said, any other reasons?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I heard some old Subaru's had it up front from the factory, I also heard it is an interesting discovery when you are trying to whip a cookie.

I don't really care, I never use them anyway as a parking brake.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I never use them anyway as a parking brake.
well i have gone over a year without one. and i recently parked int on my buddy's driveway that was a 50-degree angle or so (it is f-ing steep) i put it in gear and hopped out, as we stood there talking my truck was creaking and groaning and after 10 minutes or so it was about a foot, or foot-and-a-half futher back. 10 more minutes....another foot or so. that and i would like to be able to warm it up when parked on even the slightest hill, my driveway slopes just enough towards my back yard that one time i didn't chock the wheel and came out with the whole truck in my backyard

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i have gone over a year without one. and i recently parked int on my buddy's driveway that was a 50-degree angle or so (it is f-ing steep) i put it in gear and hopped out, as we stood there talking my truck was creaking and groaning and after 10 minutes or so it was about a foot, or foot-and-a-half futher back. 10 more minutes....another foot or so. that and i would like to be able to warm it up when parked on even the slightest hill, my driveway slopes just enough towards my back yard that one time i didn't chock the wheel and came out with the whole truck in my backyard
Here in the gently rolling hills of Iowa, inclines like that are pretty rare. I know people use them at boat ramps and such... but I have no boat.

Automatics (what I have) are kind of pass-fail. Either they will hold or freewheel, rather than slowly slip the clutch.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You can get hydraulic hand brakes that go in line with whatever line you wish. It does not use electric power and does not need the brake being pushed to activate.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
You can get hydraulic hand brakes that go in line with whatever line you wish. It does not use electric power and does not need the brake being pushed to activate.
allow me to add that i already had the line-lock solenoid sitting around so that is why i am going with it

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
emergency brakes. emergency brake
WTF are you talking about?

There is no such thing as an "Emergency brake". There is a parking brake. It is not intended nor designed to function in the capacity of stopping a moving vehicle. It is there for the sole purpose of holding a stationary vehicle stationary. In fact in many cases on modern rear-disc vehicles an attempt to use the PARKING BRAKE to stop the vehicle in the event of a service brake failure would not only fail to stop the vehicle, but shred the parking brake and poses the distinct possibility of throwing the rear axle out of control.

The PROPER procedure in the event of service brake failure is to take the transmission out of any forward gear, place it in neutral, turn on the hazard flashers, and attempt to coast to a stop. Should you need to slow down faster place the transmission in a low gear range for engine braking. If you come to an intersection, just lay on the freakin horn.

As for the original question, I'd put that bad boy on the front for a line locker.

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
:3gears:

edit: wish the guy did 1 big burnout instead of the 1-3 thing.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
WTF are you talking about?

There is no such thing as an "Emergency brake". There is a parking brake. It is not intended nor designed to function in the capacity of stopping a moving vehicle. It is there for the sole purpose of holding a stationary vehicle stationary. In fact in many cases on modern rear-disc vehicles an attempt to use the PARKING BRAKE to stop the vehicle in the event of a service brake failure would not only fail to stop the vehicle, but shred the parking brake and poses the distinct possibility of throwing the rear axle out of control.

The PROPER procedure in the event of service brake failure is to take the transmission out of any forward gear, place it in neutral, turn on the hazard flashers, and attempt to coast to a stop. Should you need to slow down faster place the transmission in a low gear range for engine braking. If you come to an intersection, just lay on the freakin horn.

As for the original question, I'd put that bad boy on the front for a line locker.

Well, actually, the original purpose was to be an emergency brake years ago. A cars got faster it was just called a parking brake. My good old 65 VW had the good old hand brake that was in fact an emergency brake that I had used it a bunch while driving in California on some of those beautiful deadly mountain roads...and it really worked as an emergency brake. I did use it several times when I had lost my front brakes once and it worked really great. People who live on hills and park on them just turn their wheels to the curb to prevent the cars fromt rolling away!!!! lol

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
There is no such thing as an "Emergency brake". There is a parking brake.
on a steep enough hill i won't even trust my "parking" brake to hold my rig. a line-lock that can hold full braking force will hold it better than most 30-year-old cable-brakes

People who live on hills and park on them just turn their wheels to the curb to prevent the cars fromt rolling away!!!!
when there is in fact a curb present.......

i'm thinking of doing it on the front because i have disc front brakes and they also have the weight of the engine over them. for example: on my my old house's steep driveway (45 degree-angle or so) it slid down to the 3 lane each-way road i lived on when the driveway was packed with snow and ice. i had just gotten home. i parked it and went inside and as i came out to shovel i watched my truck slide in slo-mo down the driveway (the front wheels rolled as the rears slid)

putting it on the front will allow me to have the rear wheels pretty locked by putting it in gear, and the fronts locked at the same time

Snafu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
I have a parking brake for my truck but cannot use it due to it not locking -_- anyone know why this happens? I do have this spring that was under my seat here:
it is broken as i found out as i was taking this picture. Is this for my parking brake? also any ideas on how to fix it?

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I had used a Mico lock on the front axle of my Willys mostly to hold it in place on steep trails and while using the winch. I still had the parking brake which on an old D18 transfer case was a drum brake on the rear output shaft.
The Mico lock is intended as a temporary parking assist. It uses electric to engage but once engaged no longer needs 12V power to keep the brakes applied. *** Mico lock ****
A line lock (or roll control) is intended for doing burn-outs and releases as soon as you remove the 12V power supply. **** line lock ****

TastySloth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I heard some old Subaru's had it up front from the factory, I also heard it is an interesting discovery when you are trying to whip a cookie.
That happened to me in a friend's car in high school. Scared the hell out of us.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals