• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I caused the problem

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
160,000 miles. I have owned it for the last 1500 miles. I started getting a small rough idle and slight hesitation on the low rpms. Truck has new wires, plugs, filters and oil. I decided to flush the coolant and put fresh in it. Last week I flushed all the rusty water (some antifreeze) out, put the "Flush" in it. Bottle said drive 60 miles for a good cleaning. This morning I removed that and put new antifreeze in it. While sitting there idling I noticed a fog coming from the exhaust. First though was I have cracked a head? I went smell it, wasn't antifreeze or oil?? so what ever..... I got my stuff and headed to work. It was running worse than before and lacked power everywhere. Got the CEL, 300, 301, 303. I got to work, parked and went look, nothing steaming or smoking from tail pipe. I let it sit for an hour, I pulled #1 and #3 plugs. Both look perfect and clean. No water in oil, no pressure (bubbles ect..) in radiator, no oil in there either. But it is still running terrible. I did lightly spray under the hood this morning to rinse some dust off of everything. Could the coil pack be doing this? I am open to any help given. If it comes to pulling heads, I'm getting a new set.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
After sitting in the sun all day it has corrected itself, must have wet something I shouldn't have lol.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good. Thanks for the update.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Was told today the coil pk. was what got wet and "got me" What do y'all think? Would it be a waist of money to just change it? But the truck runs better than ever now lol.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the coil pack is working I don't think changing it will help. Did you use di-electric grease on the boots (both ends) when you put the wires on? Not only does it help removing the wires down the road but it helps seal out water. Also check your wires for signs of heat or cracking.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Wait until it's dark outside... grab a spray bottle with water. Spray down the secondary ignition. You will see what is causing it...

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
If the coil pack is working I don't think changing it will help. Did you use di-electric grease on the boots (both ends) when you put the wires on? Not only does it help removing the wires down the road but it helps seal out water. Also check your wires for signs of heat or cracking.
Wires are new, I used the grease.
Uncle, I'm scared to press my luck lol

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm on my phone and can't see what year and engine you have. Also try what uncle gump suggested. A spray bottle like what you would use for cleaning windows (Windex). Its just a mist of water and if there is electricity going where it shouldn't the mist will help you see it. Make sure its pretty dark where you do this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals