• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I bought a new gun!!! yaaaaaaay

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
my b-day was last week and i had been wanting a shotgun for a little while. it just so happened i got part of my tax refund as well. i did a little research, it was between a remington 870 and a mossberg 500. they're basically the same gun, but the mossberg has a longer barrel and holds more shells. it was cheaper as well. plus, i've already owned 2 remington firearms and i thought i'd broaden my horizons, lol. $350 out the door for it.

here it is when i bought it, synthetic stock and blued metal

i HATE blued metal. you have to be all clean with it and no fingerprints, F that. i used some stuff called duracoat to put on a new finish. the stuff is AWESOME. i've used it on my SKS and a 700 ADL i used to have. it's near impossible to scratch it or chip it. not too crazy about the color (british dpm green is what it is called), but it's different, so i like it. it looked darker on the website. it's little bright in the pic due to the flash as well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 20 ga 500, about the complete opposite of yours. Pretty walnut wood, engraved receiver, gold trigger... but it is a Bantam. I got it when I was a kid and just kind of adjusted to fit it as I grew older. When I am geared up to deal with an Iowa winter it feels about like a normal length shotgun with a t-shirt.

It is my clay bustin', deer slayin' go to machine, I love it. :yahoo:

Dunno if it effects shotguns, but I have heard rumblings that Remington has been having some stupid quality issues on rifles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/85_Ranger/Critter getters/Picture015.jpg?t=1306629715

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
that's a sweet gun. i thought about getting the wood stock, but decided i may want a pistol grip at some point. no need in paying extra for the wood if i'm gonna get rid of it.

the quality issue with remington 700's is a load of crap. i dont know who decided to start the rumor, but it aint true. all of the accidents that have happened with them are because people are mishandling the guns.

i've owned 2 model 700's, sold one, still have the other. got the first one in 2002, combined i probably shot 3000 rounds through them, no problems.

the marine corps would not continue to use them if they were unsafe. they're in constant use in iraq and afghanistan, one is probably being fired as i type this and have you heard of any problems?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
sweet. i like the green-- its different.. i like it. pistol grip.. now.

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
If I had one of those I would be half tempted to use it on myself tonight. Sorry for the gloomy attitude, but my life just plain sucks tonight. Had a major fight with the wife for about the 5th time in as many days. This is going to be a shit of a vacation. Were heading to Kansas tomorrow. It is going to be a very long drive indeed. What a crapy time for my I pod to be broken. 8 hours with the wife from hell tomorrow. I'll never make it.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
sweet. i like the green-- its different.. i like it. pistol grip.. now.
i wanna shoot it with this stock a little bit. i just joined a shotgun forum and some members over there told me i should wait until i've put 500+ rounds through it. then go from there. one guy said that the pistol grip may make it less accurate. i find that kind of odd, but what do i know. i've shot tons and tons of shotguns, but never one with a pistol grip. i have a feeling one will get thrown on their eventually, just not yet.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i want a 500... but my wife wants our family to be victims.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i want a 500... but my wife wants our family to be victims.
lol, that sucks man. but that's what my wife said. "why do you need a shotgun?" i say,"why do you need 56 pairs of shoes?" end of argument. i'm still wrong for wanting one, she just doesnt have anything to say about it. bottom line, it's my money, we dont have kids yet, so as long as i put my share in for bills, she cant say anything.

you wont need one for home defense until you need one. i'd rather have one than not have one. i shoot clays and target shoot as well, so it's a "toy" part of the time. i doubt i'll ever have someone break in (while we're there), we live in a pretty nice part of town. i take a gun with us when we travel long distance....i dont trust people.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
btw brutus, if you want one just for home defense, check out the pardner protector. they're around $220 right now at dicks, you may find a used one as well. if you want one just for home defense, it'd be a good gun for you. they're actually made by sister company to remington. it's basically a remington 870 that's made outside the US. anything that fits an 870 will fit it. it's gotten very good reviews online.

and btw, you cant return a gun, if you come home with one, it's YOURS. just throwing that out there. lol

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
im a what IF kind of guy and i like to be prepared for anything... my wife on the other hand is the type of sheltered girl that applies "that will never happen.. that doesn't happen here" to everything. it infuriates me sometimes.

one time she took a 1000mile round trip with little notice and only taking enough money for gas.... an hour after she got back the car wouldn't start. i would have been pissed if i had to go rescue her.

anyways she doesn't want weapons cause she doesn't feel safe with them... not even a baseball bat WTF so i ask her if she'd rather just be the victim in a confrontation and then i remind her of the story of that doctor that had his family raped and killed while they were all home. it could happen

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Not big on the green but guns are always good. This is the 12 gauge I have with the black synthetic stock. It's basically a Benelli. http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_model_2000.php

We'll have to go clay shooting some time. That's basically all I do with mine.
yeah, the green wasnt what i was expecting. but hey, it's unique. that stuff is on there too, so it aint goin anywhere. i may get a darker and lighter shade of green and some tan/brown and do a camo pattern, but IDK.

do you have anywhere to go shoot around you? i know there's a shooting range in holly springs or apex, but i've never been. my grandparents live in the middle of nowhere, but they're an hour and a half away.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'ce had a 500 Cruiser for quite a while now with no issues. Rains a lot up here and rust is an issue but I've toyed with coating it as you have. How do you like the Duracoat so far. I have heard mixed reviews up here.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
im a what IF kind of guy and i like to be prepared for anything... my wife on the other hand is the type of sheltered girl that applies "that will never happen.. that doesn't happen here" to everything. it infuriates me sometimes.

one time she took a 1000mile round trip with little notice and only taking enough money for gas.... an hour after she got back the car wouldn't start. i would have been pissed if i had to go rescue her.

anyways she doesn't want weapons cause she doesn't feel safe with them... not even a baseball bat WTF so i ask her if she'd rather just be the victim in a confrontation and then i remind her of the story of that doctor that had his family raped and killed while they were all home. it could happen
i'm the same way. my wife knows this. that's part of the reason she doesnt mind them too much. she also knows that i really love them. if it's something i like, then she'll "tolerate" it.

they get locked in a gun safe when i'm not their. she's afraid if something happened while i was gone, they could be used on her.

all you can do is talk to her. just make a good case for yourself and maybe she'll budge. guns are an iffy subject to people that dont understand them and that dont know how to use them. try to have her take a pistol course with you at a local gun shop. they do them at shops around here. you rent the guns and buy the ammo and get some instruction on how to handle them and use them. could change her mind.

oh and tom, i forgot to say, i'm down whenever man. just let me know when and where.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'ce had a 500 Cruiser for quite a while now with no issues. Rains a lot up here and rust is an issue but I've toyed with coating it as you have. How do you like the Duracoat so far. I have heard mixed reviews up here.
there is no better finish that you can put on a gun, by yourself, in your garage than duracoat.

there's a gun shop down in eastern NC that has their own finish called "man-o-war". they build custom sniper rifles for the marines (force recon i think, not the regular scout/sniper rifles, but i'm not sure) and other high speed military outfits. basically, it's duracoat on crack. i'd love to do that, but they only do remington 700's and remington 870's....plus, there's a 3-4 week turn around time and it's pretty pricey, ~$500 including shipping costs. one day.......lol

i wouldnt hesitate to do it. i dont have a pic, but i painted the bolt on my Norinco SKS some years ago. i dont know if you're familiar with an SKS, but during recoil, the bolt slides underneath a piece of metal located behind the bolt. i did that maybe 4 years ago and not even so much as a flake or scratch on it.

i got this kit, comes with everything you'd need. they actually sell the spray thing at some hardware stores (home depot, lowes, etc.) it was less than $50 to my door, took me maybe 2.5-3 hours to take apart the gun, degrease, sand, paint and reassemble (and that was the first time i took it apart)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals