• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I bought a High Rider...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Gonna be a nice rig...

I'll say it again... you have all the coolest stuff.

Hope the finger healed. I know from experience... those hurt for a long while... and you kinda forget how to use it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Thanks! Yeah, it has mostly healed up. It just feels weird now, like I can feel vibration deep into it that I couldn't feel before. Could have been worse, I'd have lost an inch of it had I not had heavy leather gloves on.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Exactly what I was talking about... I still have a bump on my left index finger from at least 10 years ago. It will probably be back to normal in a year or two for you.

Depends on what I'm doing... but most times I'm wearing mechanics gloves...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I had the day off yesterday and got quite a bit done. Originally I had planned on using a 1991 Explorer dash and harness since 1991 and 1992 have the clutch switch wiring included in the dash harness, and this specific donor also had an electric shift t-case. I was going to use that as well with the factory 1988 4x4 buttons but it became apparent that there was going to be a lot of work involved with wiring the 4x4 shift module in, as well as the other mods to the Explorer harness for the fuel pump and tail lights. Thus, I opted to use a 1992 Ranger harness that I had been saving... it will be a lot less work to use a Ranger harness in a Ranger (however that donor truck had a manual t-case so I'll have to go that route.)

The dash, column, and most of the under hood wiring is in place. I need to button up a few things there and figure out how the power windows and locks are wired... or turn up a set of doors I can rob parts off of. I'm hoping I can eventually find a set of good door panels too, the ones I have now are awful.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I dropped the engine in about two weeks ago and was waiting on a new flywheel to come in. I almost half assed it with a used flywheel and a new-ish clutch but decided to just pony up and replace the flywheel... it was $47 shipped versus $40 to have the old one turned, and it needed to be turned for sure.

I spent a day over Christmas break and most of today working on wiring - I haven't found a set of crank window, manual lock doors to donate parts so I decided to make the power windows and locks work for now. It was really pretty easy - there's a section of the original 1988 headlight harness that plugs into two big plugs that come in from each fender. I cut out all the headlight, marker light and horn stuff from that and found that if I connect the lock relays to power and splice one other wire to ignition hot, both the PW and PL work perfectly. Most of my time today was spent repairing pins in those two big plugs that had corroded off. I also cut all the loom and tape off the trans harness, engine harness, and parts of the power distribution harness and retaped & put new loom on them. The wiring is in good shape for the most part but the loom was just crumbling off - it needed to be done.

I still have a few things to button up on the wiring under the hood but I should be stabbing the trans and t-case back into the truck fairly soon after that. There are a lot of very tedious, time consuming things to do and I'm trying to focus on finishing certain areas of the truck before moving on to others... I know I'm gonna end up with a bolt I forgot to tighten somewhere.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As far as forgetting bolts, get a paint marker pen and put a dab on one edge of the bolt head and another dab beside it. That way you can see that it has been tightened and also see if it has loosened off.
I dropped the engine in about two weeks ago and was waiting on a new flywheel to come in. I almost half assed it with a used flywheel and a new-ish clutch but decided to just pony up and replace the flywheel... it was $47 shipped versus $40 to have the old one turned, and it needed to be turned for sure.

I spent a day over Christmas break and most of today working on wiring - I haven't found a set of crank window, manual lock doors to donate parts so I decided to make the power windows and locks work for now. It was really pretty easy - there's a section of the original 1988 headlight harness that plugs into two big plugs that come in from each fender. I cut out all the headlight, marker light and horn stuff from that and found that if I connect the lock relays to power and splice one other wire to ignition hot, both the PW and PL work perfectly. Most of my time today was spent repairing pins in those two big plugs that had corroded off. I also cut all the loom and tape off the trans harness, engine harness, and parts of the power distribution harness and retaped & put new loom on them. The wiring is in good shape for the most part but the loom was just crumbling off - it needed to be done.

I still have a few things to button up on the wiring under the hood but I should be stabbing the trans and t-case back into the truck fairly soon after that. There are a lot of very tedious, time consuming things to do and I'm trying to focus on finishing certain areas of the truck before moving on to others... I know I'm gonna end up with a bolt I forgot to tighten somewhere.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That's a great trick. I may do that in certain areas that I want to go back and check later... steering/suspension/etc. Part of the problem with this truck is that I have literally removed every fastener since I combined at least four trucks to build this one... I just have to be extra diligent about checking everything.

I got a little bit more done over the weekend. I hooked up some more wiring here and there, power steering is connected and somewhat bled, minor things left.

Also connected a battery to start testing components for power - all is well, lights and stuff are functional for the most part and nothing caught on fire. Hopefully will have a free day or two in the near future to work on it a bit more.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I had part of the Saturday free to dink around with this truck some more. I got the trans, t-case, fan/shroud/radiator hoses installed and the interior lights are working with the 1992 interior harness. I also found some clutch master cylinder parts that I think I can use, and a couple other small things. I think one more full day of work and I can start it... the main things standing in my way of that are gas tank, starter, battery cables, and filling fluids. Getting closer.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It runs!

Still needs a lot of things finished but I got the starter and gas tank in yesterday. Big step in the right direction!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Here's my list of things to finish... quite a few little things. I am 8.8 swapping this truck with the rear axle out of my Explorer so I need to do the axle swap on that before I can continue on with a lot of this. The clutch deal is the most pressing right now, it could be at least moved on its own power in front wheel drive if I had that working.

And the obligatory pic with the hood and grill back on and not so much junk stacked on top of it:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Looking good!

r1ch999999

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Here's my list of things to finish... quite a few little things. I am 8.8 swapping this truck with the rear axle out of my Explorer so I need to do the axle swap on that before I can continue on with a lot of this. The clutch deal is the most pressing right now, it could be at least moved on its own power in front wheel drive if I had that working.

And the obligatory pic with the hood and grill back on and not so much junk stacked on top of it:
That is the dream truck I never got.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Judging by the empty beer cartons stacked in front of the truck... you also need more beer!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Judging by the empty beer cartons stacked in front of the truck... you also need more beer!
Nope, that was from right after filling the house fridge and the shop fridge. I'm good for a few days. ??

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Interior is back together...ish... I need floor covering and everything needs a wipe down. It'll have to come apart again for final cleaning and assembly but at least I don't have a big pile of trim to step on and break.

Wiper motor is kinda fixed (89+ plug is different, had to swap motors) but I broke that stupid ass clip that holds the arms on and it's like the one piece I don't have a spare of. I can't think of a better design but that deal is horrible. Would have almost been better off cutting the plug off the new one and soldering it to the older motor. Oh well.

I may have part of Saturday to mess with stuff so I am planning on shortening some gas tank straps and starting to build exhaust.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals