• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HUB Replacement Help

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
1990 Ford Ranger 4x4 2.9L with Dana 35 Front Axle on 31s.

I was replacing the front brakes over the weekend and when I was pulling the locking hubs apart I noticed the Plastic Cam on the Drivers Side was Busted.(probably would explain the clicking in 4x4) Also the splined thrust washer was significantly bent.
Anyways it appears I cant buy just the cam for it without buying a whole new HUB, So I guess I don't have much of a choice other than to upgrade to the manual locking Hubs. However I'm supposed to reuse that Splined thrust washer with the swap, any idea where I can find a new one at?

-So I have found Warn P/N 29071 for about $223, or the beefier Warn P/N 37780 for $262. Is it worth the extra $40 for the beefier hubs?

-The only other thing I will need to install is the 32720 conversion kit right? which is really just 2 sets of 28068X in a box that costs twice as much right?

Thanks in advance.

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I actually found a used set of 29071 Warn Locking hubs that includes the 32720 Conversion kit for $150. Considering the cheapest I could find new was piecing it together on Ebay for $232, or $278 from summit. Do Yall think its worth it to buy the used set to save $82-$128, or should I run like hell from a used set of hubs? They seem to be in good condition based on the Pictures, and the seller claims both dials turn easily and that locking mechanisms work.

That is of course assuming its not absolutely worth the $320 it would cost for the beefier Warn 37780 Jeep hubs and spindle nut conversion

Either way, I still need to find a replacement Splined Washer for the hub. (first piece off after the C-Clip) Any suggestions on where to find it at?

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I suspect the only place you will find those parts (washer + cam) is in a wrecking yard (1997 was the last year vehicle those (or similar) parts were OEM).
From my experience though, they generally are easy to find in good condition (certainly they are plentiful in the yards around me anyway).

As for standard hubs vs the Jeep hubs, it will depend on what your future plans are for the truck... If you don't intend to put larger tires (33"+) and a differential locker on it, then the standard hubs should do fine.

I have the #37780 Jeep hubs on mine, but also 35x12.50 tires and a locker up front.

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I suspect the only place you will find those parts (washer + cam) is in a wrecking yard (1997 was the last year vehicle those (or similar) parts were OEM).
From my experience though, they generally are easy to find in good condition (certainly they are plentiful in the yards around me anyway).

As for standard hubs vs the Jeep hubs, it will depend on what your future plans are for the truck... If you don't intend to put larger tires (33"+) and a differential locker on it, then the standard hubs should do fine.

I have the #37780 Jeep hubs on mine, but also 35x12.50 tires and a locker up front.
Thanks, I'll check the junkyard this weekend. I'm probably going to stick to 31's for tires, though I would like to get a locker eventually, so I'm not sure if I should opt for the #37780 Jeep hubs because of the eventual locker or if the #29071 will be fine with the locker because it only has 31s

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Probably will depend on your driving style then...

If you're a fairly conservative driver (you're not tempted to assault offroad obstacles with lots of throttle) or you just need to get to a local hunting or camping spot (mild-moderate forest roads, etc.), I think the standard hubs would still be fine, locked + 31s.
If rock crawling, fast mud bogging, etc. is in the cards though, then it certainly can't hurt to get the better hubs. There's no downside to them other than a little more cost. But it's your call.

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Probably will depend on your driving style then...

If you're a fairly conservative driver (you're not tempted to assault offroad obstacles with lots of throttle) or you just need to get to a local hunting or camping spot (mild-moderate forest roads, etc.), I think the standard hubs would still be fine, locked + 31s.
If rock crawling, fast mud bogging, etc. is in the cards though, then it certainly can't hurt to get the better hubs. There's no downside to them other than a little more cost. But it's your call.
Thanks for all your help!
And for anyone else who ends up here, I believe the splined washer that holds the hub guts to the axle has a P/N of F57Z-3B458-A

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hadn't been using that splined washer and clip. I guess it's better to have it in there, but I never did.

Definitely want to spring for the better lockouts if you are going offroad. Don't need them just for regular driving, but anytime you are needing to use a lot of power, POP! and the top of the hat is gone and you're screwed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals