• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hub...bearings or both....?

jeedee

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
RE: tire noise of a previous thread. Is there a way to determine...by sound only...if wheels noises are bearings or hub, or both...? Have only one vehicle, so have to purchase parts before doing the repair. (Maybe I should buy it all, and return what I don't use).....but I'm sure there is a way to determine what is causing a low, not-loud, whirring noise....like the sound of a distant B17 bomber.....whirring propeller sound. 2002 Ranger, 4X2, auto....not tires, or trans, or running gear.
Appreciate any thoughts.
Thanx.
Charlie.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well I've never known a hub to make noise, and a new bearing for that will come with new races, so there you go.

jeedee

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Of course the Auto Zone guy said that it may be a hub....or an axle.....I bought bearings only.....is what I think is the problem.
Thanx for the reply.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
the Auto Zone guy said
Yeah, Auto Zone's actual hiring strategy is to find the person they can pay the lowest amount and then hope they learn something. Never trust anyone from Auto Zone.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, there are sometimes exceptions to that rule of not trusting an Autozone person, but most of the time it holds true. Despite Autozone making a lot of noise about how they can help you do the job right, it’s no different than any other big company. RadioShack used to advertise “you’ve got questions, we have answers!” I always said it was more “you’ve got questions, we’ve got blank stares!” You get what you pay for and no computer system can make up for a complete lack of general knowledge and common sense.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals