• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to: Fix sticky/seized manual door lock

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
Nothing is so difficult it cannot be overcome by brute force and ignorance =8-)

My 2001 Ranger's door locks do the sticking thing whenever it's below 60 degrees F or so .

I used some liquid graphite spray and they freed up for a few days, as soon as it got cold again they froze up, I too hate the jigging the key, some times just flipping it over and reinserting it works .

I sourced some used lock cylinders and wanted to re key them, is there a tutorial anywhere on how to take them apart ? .

TIA,

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I spray my latches with Cyclo Breakaway every time I service it and give the lock cylinders a very small shot about once a year. Then I wipe the oily film off my key for a little while. I don't often lock my cars, though.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

My 2001 Ranger's door locks do the sticking thing whenever it's below 60 degrees F or so .

I used some liquid graphite spray and they freed up for a few days, as soon as it got cold again they froze up, I took hate the jigging the key, some times just flipping it over and reinserting it works .

I sourced some used lock cylinders and wanted to re key them, is there a tutorial anywhere on how to take them apart ? .

TIA,
Have you tried removing them from the doors to lubricate them? It's a few seconds to take each out and mine improved immensely by doing that. Way better than just trying to shoot it through the key hole.

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
My next step will be to remove and clean them before lubricating again with graphite .

Chrysler Corp. sells a wonderful aerosol graphite spray that's both penetrant and lubricant ~ they designed it to free up and lubricate heat risor flapper valves, I discovered it 40 years ago and use a can ir two every year ~Ii use it on all my house locks too .

This 2001 Ranger is the very first lock it doesn't seem to fix ~ I give it a shot and they're good for a week or so then it gets cold again and they're stuck so I imagine there's all manner of dirt in there, stay tuned .

I looked on the Bay of E for the outer crimp on covers as I know how to service locks i can take apart but didn't find them .

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been over 2 years, 3 winters since I followed the above procedure. Never put anything in it since except the key. Locks still work perfectly regardless of weather condition. My only regret is I tried to get too cute and used a plumbing o-ring to seal the outer part of the cylinder to the door exterior. Stresses the clip and the o-ring split within a year. No biggie, live and learn, again, works great, Re-using the original seal or cutting a new one from gasket material would have been wiser. Don't ever use spray lubricants/solvents, all it does is further imbed the crud into the intricate tumblers making the issue worse. To those that have a fob and don't have to use a key, may be worth checking manual operation. There are those times...

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
Thank you ! .

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
Door Lock Update :

O.K., I did the cleaning thing, WOW did a lot of dirt and old rock hard grease come out .

My problem appears to be the tumblers/dogs/flakes whatever you call them, are worn so I need to take the lock apart and re key it ~ the re key part is dead easy but I cannot get the darned outer cover off ~ I've tried prying it hammering it, I even attacked it with water pump pliers, no joy .

I looked on you tube and lots of how to re key but nary a word ab out how to get the darn cover off so i can begin .

Any ideas or tutorials ? .

FWIW : the cleaning and then careful application of graphite got it so I can jiggle it open in two minutes instead od five but I need to fix this .

TIA,

RANGER.LOCK.001[1].jpg

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From looking at the assembly as pictured and the Ford parts exploded view diagram, It would appear to be crimped on. If you manage to remove it, getting it back on could be an issue. You may look into getting a 15-20$ replacement at a local parts store or check with a locksmith. If you try and succeed (or fail) please update us. Sounds like you will carry the torch of knowledge on all things lock cylinder from here on... best luck, hope all ends well !

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
Thanx ;

Due to the open lature of the lock's design it was easy to see once clean that the dogs don't *quite* line up correctly, this can be from wear of keys or the dogs proper, in this case none of my spare keys nor even the single remaining original key worked differently .

I agree that the cover looks crimped on, I was hoping there would be a door lock cylinder kit that came with the covers off so one could key it to the ignition key....

I don't like needing more than one key per vehicle .

I asked a local Locksmith to take a look and we'll see what he says this week .

HAPPY EASTER !

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
O.K., I couldn't find the outer covers so I took my locks to a local Locksmith and for $35 he took them apart and re keyed them .

If you're careful there's no need to remove the door cards .

I wasn't careful enough on the passenger side one, off it came, not difficult due to extremely good engineering .

Once you have the clip out wiggle the lock cylinder and it'll come loose, once you have it out of the door's hole unlock the lock, this raises up the control rod giving you much more working space, easier to work the plastic clip of and back on the rod , then lock it again to make it easier to re insert the lock cylinder in the hole .

Press the lock against the door skin as you push the holding clip into place and you're done .

Attachments

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
Because I'd sprayed liquid graphite in several times I had dribbles of crud on the outside of the door that had dried and wouldn't wipe off .

So I grabbed some liquid wax, not cleaner wax and used a clean soft rag (an old sock, my teenage Foster boys run through them like mad and they're very good rags) to polish the paint back to it's original shine .

Looks nice .

Attachments

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
The little plastic clip on the end of the lock cylinder has a dog leg to it .

I set them so the dog leg set inwards instead of out wards, the locks work smooth as glass again .

The plastic thing is often quite brittle so work it gently off and back on the actuating rod .

I used a thin long tool to hold the rod in place as I easily twisted it slightly to slide past the 90 degree bend .

I am consistently amazed at the good engineering in this cheap truck .

It makes it easier to service and maintain .

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals