• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help, skyjacker is kicking my A**

USCGC130

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5"
Hey all, im sorry to start another thread, but i finally got the SJ class 2 lift kit and the radius arms, got the drop brackets installed and radius arms onthe axles, but now when im trying to put the coils in, they dont really want to stay in after i twist them in to the buckets will this be way better with all the weight on them?, and the big thing is my radius arms look way out of wack and point way outside of the frame, the left one points about 9" outside the frame and the right side points 17" out of the frame!! When i try to push them towards where the mounting brackets would be they just want to bend the axles aft and that doesnt seem right either. the Arm with the R on the tag is on the right side and the L on the left Am i doing something wrong? or do you just have to muscle them into place? It really doesnt seem right doing that? i just feel like something isnt right. bellow are some pictures, mostly of the right side but 1 or 2 of the left, i really thought this was going to be easier than this, this kit is kicking my ass and im just ready to be done with it and driving the truck again.

Thank in advance fro any help

Attachments

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Your Radius arms don't swing in towards the frame since they pivot at the axle? maybe loosen them at the axle and swing them in and tighten once lined up.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have not installed aftermarket arms....
I would install the coils last with the proper tool. Loosen the bolts at the axles and swing the arms in. You may have to install the arm into the frame brackets first then swing the arms in to install the axle bolts.

USCGC130

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5"
UHHG lol i was dreading that, but it would be an easier answer than removing them, but those big bolts were a bear to break loose and torque. Nice credo Bgunner, i am starting to follow that more and more, last time i didnt follow that is when i replaced my rear main seal while replacing my transmission.... wasnt leaking until i put in a new one and i had to pull it all out and redo it again... should have just left it alone. thank you for the input on my radius arms too.

and Alwaysfloored, thank you as well, that makes 2 votes to pull the coils and loosen the RA to axle bolts and see if they swing in.

Rusty Bouquet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xl
Transmission
Automatic
Let me preface by saying, I have no idea, as I've yet to wrench on my front suspension. However, it seems like youtube has a video about everything under the sun. Could find some helpful tips on there?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The arms will swing in after you loosen the bolts holding the radius arm to the beam. Once you have the ends in the brackets, then torque down the bolts on the axle.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Don't tighten the bolts that hold the radius arm to the axle beams until everything is together. Don't tighten the pivot bolts in the drop brackets either. Which hole did you use on the drop brackets? Should be the top one.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
All of the above.

+

On mine, I had to grind off part of a lip on the driver side axle beam in order for the radius arm to swing completely into place. I think I put photos in my build thread and there is reference to it in a tech article somewhere here on this site.

USCGC130

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5"
Thank you guys, I will go ahead and work on re doing all that, at least the axles are back in and hanging, I did grind some of that lip down because I saw that it looked like it would interfere, but I may need more, ill check when I get home. I really do appreciate the input because I feel I am a pretty decent mechanic but doing this lift by myself is kicking my ass. Hopefully I can just get away with loosening the arms and not having to fully remove them.

Mr. Jim oaks, I had read your install a few times and know that you moved yours to the upper hole, do you think I should still try the top hole first since I am adding 1" of washers under it, I am anticipating my lift being at about 5.5 " up front. and BTW your 1996 TRS build I loved.

Thank you all for your time, ill report back once I get everything squared away

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
No way to know what's best till your close

With what your saying starting with the 4 in holes is prudent.

You always put it together loose and get it on its weight before final torque....loose meaning moveable with some effort not barely together of course.

On weight. If it's close enough for dial in snug the arm lowers then jack it up to unload and put the final torque to it

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Even with the 1" of washers the 4" hole should work. I am using the 4" hole(superlift brackets) with my Skyjacker 6" coils, and my truck is lighter than yours.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals