• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help, ranger having trouble starting

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I was on a long trip to my aunt's house in my ranger and im new to driving stick so i occasionally stall out trying to get into first, not a big deal, what is a big deal is that suddenly my ranger decides the ignition doesn't want to work, turn the key, not a single click, battery is all good, everything has power, but if i hold it for a while trying over and over it randomly will decide to start working and turn on, this is really bad when im at an extremely busy intersection, i really want to see if i can get this sorted out tonight because i have work in the morning and i need to drive this thing back down there one way or another and id prefer not to stall out without any way of turning the truck right back on, could someone please help

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
It seems it wont start when the engine has been running a while, the longer it sits the greater the chance of it starting up, once its sat for like an hour it starts right up

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Change the ECT sensor.

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Change the ECT sensor.
Thanks, i will try that tomorrow afternoon, luckily made it back home without stalling so i wont miss work, i am curious how you came to that conclusion, not that im doubting you im just trying to learn, what i read online was it was likely the starter solenoid going bad especially since it made no crank noise so im a bit confused as to how the coolant sensor would cause this, just seems a little odd to me is all so im trying to understand it and learn my vehicle better

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Oh yea, if it's not cranking then it's not the ect. I only read the second half of your post because I'm lazy... can you hear the starter relay click when it does this? You'd need someone else to get in the truck while you listen. But more than likely I'd say solenoid too, next time it does it, whack the starter and solenoid a few times with a screw driver handle or a rubber mallet. If it works after a couple whacks then there's your problem.

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Oh yea, if it's not cranking then it's not the ect. I only read the second half of your post because I'm lazy... can you hear the starter relay click when it does this? You'd need someone else to get in the truck while you listen. But more than likely I'd say solenoid too, next time it does it, whack the starter and solenoid a few times with a screw driver handle or a rubber mallet. If it works after a couple whacks then there's your problem.
Thanks so much, ill try that in the morning

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Welp, after having sat for a night it starts up fine over and over with no issue so now im really confused

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would take a serious look at ALL the battery connections... both ends.

I would probably give all the easier ones a proper cleaning and ensure they are tight.

Any resistance in the starting circuit will cause a no crank scenario. You describe a temperature related issue but it is intermittent. Sometimes intermittent faults are a process of elimination. Battery cables should always be the first place you look... and it costs nothing but a little time.

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would take a serious look at ALL the battery connections... both ends.

I would probably give all the easier ones a proper cleaning and ensure they are tight.

Any resistance in the starting circuit will cause a no crank scenario. You describe a temperature related issue but it is intermittent. Sometimes intermittent faults are a process of elimination. Battery cables should always be the first place you look... and it costs nothing but a little time.
Im sorry i forgot to say that i believe i have resolved the issue, i took it to have a battery, starter, and alternator test and they found out that my battery had a bad cell, i was speaking with my uncle who is an retired mechanic and he said that my issue doesn't seem like a normal battery issue to most people but on occasion a bad cell can work perfectly fine and then only really act up on long car trips like the one i was on, so i swapped the battery and havent had the issue since, thanks for the help tho you guys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals