• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hazmat Ranger Under the Knife

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been gathering all the necessary materials and parts for this mod since Spring of this year.

When I say "under the knife" I will be doing a mod on a US Ranger that has NEVER been done. Let me state here that I do not KNOW of anyone doing this to a US Ranger yet.

I am installing the Global Ranger Fender Vents into the fenders on my 95 Ranger.

It took me a while to order the vents as I had to find a dealer in the UK. Once I got them I was apprehensive about cutting into my stock fenders so I held off. I then came across WNY964X4 who was beginning a rebuild on his Ranger. The front fenders were trashed on the front half, but the rear portion where the emblems mount was still in good condition - so I made a deal with him and got the rear sections cut out and shipped to me to practice on and fabricate the mounts for the vents.

PICS from TODAY

All tools and supplies gathered . . .

Marked for the cut

CUT

Test fit - cut a little oversized

Welding

NOTE: I can weld, BUT I am limited by the equipment I have to work with. Here is my Flux Core Mig by Century. I am just trying to go slow with it and do tacks not long beads.

Temp fitted into practice fender:

Side view - not too bad

The back side - I know the welds look bad - wish I had a gas shielded mig.

So there is one side fabricated, I need to clean it up, add filler, make sure the vent will stay in place securely and prime everything.

Once both vent mounts are fabbed then I will cut the mounts out square and graft them into my stock fenders on the truck. I may even pull the fenders to mount the vent mounts so I can work it from behind too.

So what do you all think so far.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks good, man. I need to get a gas shield rig too, but then I'd lose my excuse for why my welds look so bad :D

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks good, man. I need to get a gas shield rig too, but then I'd lose my excuse for why my welds look so bad :D
Even trying to go with small spot tacks, sometimes I get the balls or miss the joint or melt the thin metal. Wish I could convert this to argon, but I cannot.
:icon_welder:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you can actually get flux cored welds to look decent. its a matter of slowing the wire speed down to let the weld melt in instead of balling up on the metal.

but yeah. i love my lincoln 110 mig and my airco 220 mig. both on gas.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dont forget. pure argon is for aluminum and stainless.

steel is 80% argon 20% co2
SEE just goes to show what I really know about it. I learned on stick in high school and that was a long long time ago - the school did not have MIG back then that I knew of - we also oxy/acetylene welded . . .

Thanks man for the info - I only have four possible selections on my welder, going to have to play around with it some.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Sweet!
looking good so far H.
Shame i couldnt be the one suppling those vents.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even trying to go with small spot tacks, sometimes I get the balls or miss the joint or melt the thin metal. Wish I could convert this to argon, but I cannot.
:icon_welder:
My welder is gas ready and has all the parts, I just need to come up with the $200 for a cylinder and a fill. It's not too high on my priorities list since I've only had to use the welder twice...

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is cool that you can convert. I have to find a better welder if I am going to get any better at this stuff. This is the welder that has done ALL of the welds on my Ranger so far. SO you see there have been no major structural changes.

Well off to a small gathering and then back to the vents. I hope to make some progress today. L8TR

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That is cool that you can convert. I have to find a better welder if I am going to get any better at this stuff. This is the welder that has done ALL of the welds on my Ranger so far. SO you see there have been no major structural changes.

Well off to a small gathering and then back to the vents. I hope to make some progress today. L8TR
go get a lincoln 125, it'll do 22 gauge (i think) up to 1/4" steel. you can set it up for gas, aluminum and stainless too. plus it plugs into a wall outlet, so there's no need to call an eletrician. i've had mine for a few months now, i love it. it was only $400ish too, so it wont break the bank.

you need to find a shopping cart to cut up and make a welding cart, that way you dont have to lug it around.

sorry, not tryin to thread jack

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I've got an Auto Arc 130. Its a rebadged Hobart Handler 125 and came with a cart and regulator. It was about $320 and it's all set for gas.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have had excellent results with Blue Demon flux core wire. I have the HF flux core welder and I have it set pretty good and that wire has less slpatter than what came with the welder.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I have the Small CH welder from Tractor Supply, it does great for me, and I welded all the body panels on a 67 mustang with it, I'm also using their brand flux core wire, just turn it all the way down and turn the wire to the slowest possible setting on mine the level 1 does great.

Also I have a set of side vents from the same 67 Mustang, I'm going to weld those into my 88 Ranger Super cab.

I know what you mean about learning a long time ago, I was showed how to weld back in the mid 80's and all we had was a huge arc welder, I ran a lot of rods off that machine.

Robert

Posted from my recliner on my laptop

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Looks good, never would have thought to put vents on a ranger.

I use flux for my welding and like it better then gas. Plus in the end costs me less too, flux wire is 20 bucks. Gas wire is 10 bucks and the gas is 35 per exchange bottle that lasts me maybe one spool of wire.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks good, never would have thought to put vents on a ranger.

I use flux for my welding and like it better then gas. Plus in the end costs me less too, flux wire is 20 bucks. Gas wire is 10 bucks and the gas is 35 per exchange bottle that lasts me maybe one spool of wire.
you have your pressure up too high. it shouldnt be more than 10lbs out.

ive go through probably 4-5 spools of the small home depot wire before i need a tank refill

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals