• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone successfully recalibrated the speedo on a 98-00 ranger?

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
That's definitely a bit frustrating. I really appreciate all your insight. But it begs the question: is it even POSSIBLE to correct the speedometer?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it is

I don't know anything about the Yellow box, from what I read it is only used to correct up to 12% deviations, so could only be used in a Ranger after signal was already corrected to 8,000ppm, so at the speedometer would be best

The SGI-5E would do it for sure, but you would take the 4WABS module out of the picture for this, by pass it, as far as speed signal is concerned

SGI-5E would be hooked to the rear axle VSS, 2 spliced wires to speed IN + and -, VSS stays hooked to ABS module
Then its 8,000ppm output(Ford) would be connected to the grey/black wires, spliced in at any point to any of those wires, BUT disconnect/cut the grey/black wire on the ABS module so you don't have double speed signals
The grey/black speed wires are already connected to each other, so you just need to splice new signal into one of them

Then its just a matter of fine tuning the pulse, up or down, to match correct speed with current tire size, if you change tires then re-adjust

Many have used this when swapping in V8s to Rangers because they loose the transmission/transfer case VSS, 1997 and earlier Rangers still used speedo gear setup
Or if they put a 1998 or newer transmission into a 1997 and older Ranger, lol

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I know my 02 is different but I found the most straightforward way to do it is to take the instrument cluster out and tie in right behind the speedometer. That way you are getting the signal after the ABS module and don't have to make any other changes. At least I did not. My instructions warned not to tie in before the ABS module because it could interfere with the operation of the ABS system. My Dakota Digital is a SGI-5C (just an earlier version) and I really like it. I change my tires sizes (31" & 33") back and forth a couple times each year when I go on extended off-road trips. It is easy to recalibrate once you figure out how it is done. It seems the yellow box should be able to work also, but I don't know anything about them

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
The plan right now is to try hooking up the yellow box straight to the speedo. I plan to hook it up in a way that I can get to the wiring easily, maybe install a harness. That way if the yellow box doesn't work out I can sell it and get the Dakota Digital.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals