• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

glue

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Before the flaming starts, I don't want to spend a crap load of money on something that is cheap in the states and is rarely used anyway. What do they use or can I use to re-glue the linings back onto the parking brake shoes. The parking brake still works but the linings have separated from the shoes. Hot glue wouldn't work as the heat from the disk brake would melt it and shoe goo takes too long to dry.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'd suggest Igloo...it will help keep the shoes cool so they won't fall off...

Ahem, sorry...I thought they were riveted on...so there is another alternative...drill holes and use pop rivets...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Um, what exactly is the axle from and what is the brake configuration?

If this is drum brakes that is part of the service brake and a very bad idea.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
if it were me I'd try a 2-part adhesive from 3m, but a tube of that costs more than new shoes. I think whatever you use, it should be 2 part, maybe try one of those 2-part epoxies from the hardware store.

Last edited:

the_gunslinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry dude, but for safety purpose, I would never try to glue a lining back on. In the year models you have posted, I'm assuming you only have rear drums. You're rear drums are used for more than jit your prking brake. Just for peace of mind, spending an extra few bucks isn't that bad.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
yeah, new shoes aren't that much. maybe 50 bucks and you can put new shoes, new springs and hardware and new wheel cylinders. And Ask yourself this:

Is my life worth $50? is someone elses life worth $50?

AJ

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
What's the point of posting without reading the original post. perhaps I should have posted it in the tailgate, gat a stupid answer thread. It's a drum style parking brake inside a disk service brake. You guys in the states have no idea how expensive some parts are here, even then I would never get cheap on parts like service brakes etc. Parts we never use and just rattle and annoy are a different thing altogether.

the_gunslinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sure, if you want a half @$$ed answer, go get some 30min 2 part epoxy and call it a day. But no one will be to blame but yourself when the glue fails and lodges into the rotor. Not all of the replys were from people in the lower 48. If parts are that expensive there, then maybe you should try looking online.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Canada? Really. I thought you were in Egypt or Japan the way you were talking up the price of parts. Haha. My friend has a summer home in Canada, it's not like there is a Berlin Wall between us.

JB Weld and/or melted lead might do it.

MrRangerSir

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
What's the point of posting without reading the original post. perhaps I should have posted it in the tailgate, gat a stupid answer thread. It's a drum style parking brake inside a disk service brake. You guys in the states have no idea how expensive some parts are here, even then I would never get cheap on parts like service brakes etc. Parts we never use and just rattle and annoy are a different thing altogether.
As one Canadian to another, parts are not that bad. Shop carefully and you'll be OK.

Now please stop making us look bad!

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
If I had your problem I would just take them to a relining shop. We have them here in Panama City. My local one is called Bondag. When I lived in Jamaica there was one in Savannah La Mar. Don't remember the name of that one though. When my Ssangyong needed the front pads replaced I could buy ones from the dealership for $200 or get them relined at Bondag for $20.

You Canadians try to make it like you live next door to Nanook of the North or something. When I have something shipped here it is about $15 a pound on top of what it costs me to get it shipped to Miami.... So be like me... Either do it yourself or get over it and stop complaining.

By the way I am not being a dick as I answered your question in my earlier post and you still got your panties in a wad.

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The "glue" used for bonding linings to the shoes needs heat and pressure to cure. Usually somewhere in the 100-250 psi and 350°+ ranges.

Your not going to find some off-the-shelf epoxy that will hold up to the temp/pressure/shear forces of the brakes...

Just spend the $20 on new shoes.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Before the flaming starts, I don't want to spend a crap load of money on something that is cheap in the states and is rarely used anyway. What do they use or can I use to re-glue the linings back onto the parking brake shoes. The parking brake still works but the linings have separated from the shoes. Hot glue wouldn't work as the heat from the disk brake would melt it and shoe goo takes too long to dry.

Dude,
1. no where in your original post do you say that this is a disc brake setup. As most Rangers/B2s have drum brakes, this is an easy assumption to make.

2. your profile under your user name states you have an 84 B2 (stock drum brakes) and a 91 Explorer (also stock drum brakes.)

3. your post has nothing in it suggesting you did an axle swap to either vehicle.

So if you want *accurate* help, give as much information as possible.

And since several others chimed in on the matter and you are still griping,

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=adhesive+used+on+brake+shoes

Search. it might save you the flame war you were not wanting in the first place...

AJ

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
For what its worth, i understood what he was talking about *shrug* but i do think he could have been more specific. On that note, i love lmgtfy lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals