• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gentlemen, I return to the fold.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A “hair drier” is what us old guys called turbo chargers back in the day. I know it is all on me, but I will never own anything with a turbo on it. There is no replacement for displacement.
Well technically. But displacement is all about how much air you can get in. If you can get more air into a smaller engine.... well you don't need to same cubes to make the same power.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
A “hair drier” is what us old guys called turbo chargers back in the day. I know it is all on me, but I will never own anything with a turbo on it. There is no replacement for displacement.
heck maybe but this thing pulls harder than any V6 ranger or B2 i've driven.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
heck maybe but this thing pulls harder than any V6 ranger or B2 i've driven.
We've owned ours since September and every time we drive the truck I'm impressed with just how much hp / torque the motor produces.

The reality is most of the folks that talk smack about the 2019/2020 Rangers have never driven one..... and if they have, not long enough to give it a fair evaluation. We were undecided and told the dealer that. They gave us a Ranger to drive over a weekend. That gave us the chance to do a fair evaluation.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
well down the road when the turbo craps out, that will be a very expensive part to replace, and if a gas engine designed to use a turbo is anything like a diesel , it aint worth a damn with a dead turbo. Now yes Im comparing a farm tractor (1855 Oliver) to a automotive gas engine, but I sure know how bad the tractor was to run when the turbo on it locked up.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm not so sure that sandmans picture is deceiving. I pulled in next to a 2019 the other day and it just dwarfed my 06. They line up is reasonably close on paper... but perception is reality.

I've never driven a Ranger with an Ecoboost… but we own an Escape with one. I haven't driven it much but it sure doesn't feel under powered to me. So my question to the 2019 Ranger owners would be... If you were to trade in your 2019 on a 2023 and there was an optional V6 Ecoboost… would you pick your I4 or up your game to a V6?

Just playing the Devil's advocate with the displacement issue...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The power is fine. There is certainly a concern with how the turbo will hold up. If it holds up like the ones on diesels do, then it will be ok. I would still prefer a V6 NA engine.

As far as trading in the 2019 in for a 2023, I doubt it. Depending on what they do with it, I might consider trading in the 2011.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
well down the road when the turbo craps out, that will be a very expensive part to replace, and if a gas engine designed to use a turbo is anything like a diesel , it aint worth a damn with a dead turbo. Now yes Im comparing a farm tractor (1855 Oliver) to a automotive gas engine, but I sure know how bad the tractor was to run when the turbo on it locked up.
I had the same engine in my mustang and it didn't give me a lick of trouble and I had nearly 70k on the clock when i traded it in.

This engine has been in mustangs since 2015. If there was going to be a problem we'd have heard about it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It had a stopped turbo plugging the intake.

We have done a couple turbo deletes. They smoke more and the pump needs adjusted but they still run well.

The last one was a John Deere 7700 404 into a 4020. Even without the turbo it has more power than the original 4020 engine.

Keep good oil to them, clean air to them and don’t let them get hot and a turbo will run for decades on a tractor which sees a load cycle no car/pickup engine will withstand.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
So my question to the 2019 Ranger owners would be... If you were to trade in your 2019 on a 2023 and there was an optional V6 Ecoboost… would you pick your I4 or up your game to a V6?
My last truck I kept for 17 years... I'm hoping to keep the Ranger for that long too. As to "upping the game"... it already has class leading towing and hauling capacity with the 4-banger, A V-6 turbo just isn't necessary.

But if they had offered a V-6 without a turbo in the 2019 Ranger, I'd be driving that right now. We bought our truck due to class leading Safety Features... not because of the turbo.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
My last truck I kept for 17 years... I'm hoping to keep the Ranger for that long too. As to "upping the game"... it already has class leading towing and hauling capacity with the 4-banger, A V-6 turbo just isn't necessary.

But if they had offered a V-6 without a turbo in the 2019 Ranger, I'd be driving that right now. We bought our truck due to class leading Safety Features... not because of the turbo.
So the answer is yes...

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
So the answer is yes...
Only if you either didn't read the question, or don't know what an "Ecoboost" is.

If you were to trade in your 2019 on a 2023 and there was an optional V6 Ecoboost… would you pick your I4 or up your game to a V6?
A V-6 Ecoboost motor has a turbo... hence the term "boost".

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm not so sure that sandmans picture is deceiving. I pulled in next to a 2019 the other day and it just dwarfed my 06. They line up is reasonably close on paper... but perception is reality.

I've never driven a Ranger with an Ecoboost… but we own an Escape with one. I haven't driven it much but it sure doesn't feel under powered to me. So my question to the 2019 Ranger owners would be... If you were to trade in your 2019 on a 2023 and there was an optional V6 Ecoboost… would you pick your I4 or up your game to a V6?

Just playing the Devil's advocate with the displacement issue...
After seeing how tightly the 2.3EB is stuffed into that engine bay I would not at all consider a V6 of any type, especially one with twin turbos. That would just be a nightmare to work on.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think that is why they want the redesign. There is no room for a V6 otherwise. They way they cram engines in vehicles these days is sadistic. Even with a redesign, I’m sure maintenance will not be fun. I’m pretty sure they do that on purpose so owners will bring their vehicles to the dealer instead of doing the work themselves. Not that it makes the work any better for the tech doing the maintenance. They are just getting paid to deal with the misery instead of doing it for free.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think that is why they want the redesign. There is no room for a V6 otherwise. They way they cram engines in vehicles these days is sadistic. Even with a redesign, I’m sure maintenance will not be fun. I’m pretty sure they do that on purpose so owners will bring their vehicles to the dealer instead of doing the work themselves. Not that it makes the work any better for the tech doing the maintenance. They are just getting paid to deal with the misery instead of doing it for free.
I don’t think the V6 Ecoboosts are all that much fun to work on in a ‘150...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Only if you either didn't read the question, or don't know what an "Ecoboost" is.

A V-6 Ecoboost motor has a turbo... hence the term "boost".
Oh I know what it is... I said I owned an Ecoboost. I apparently just blew over the part where you said without turbo. My fault. I'm seriously not trying to start an argument here but you still answered my basic question.... if given a choice... you would opt for larger displacement. I also believe the V6 Ecoboost doesn't have a turbo... it has two.

I really ask this because I'm gonna be in the market for a new Bronco in a couple years. If they offer a naturally aspirated V6 option... It will be my choice over anything turbo.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals