• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Released Official MPG Ratings For 2019 Ford Ranger

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Best case scenario is what they base the numbers on not real world application

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have found that their mpg quotes have been more optimistic that what I actually get. I’ve only seen factory mpg twice. Once when the planets aligned just right and the other when the left catalytic converter was just about to fail. The 2011 Ranger is supposed to get 23 mpg highway but I normally see something around 20.
IMO a few lower than rated is hardly groundbreaking, I always figured they just had them tested under super ideal conditions that are rarely achieved in the real world.

Sounds like they are just picking on the Ranger for now but there could be more models involved.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Best case scenario is what they base the numbers on not real world application
Agreed. My dad's 2019 tacoma v6 we took to florida said 20city 23hwy
With the cruise control downshifting on slight to moderate hills and running 2800rpms all the way up the hill we got 18 on the hwy at 75. I drove after fill without cruise feathering up hills and got 22 out of it.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've never had a vehicle that couldn't beat eh EPA estimated mpg, even my 11 Ranger Supercab 4x4 with a heavy fiberglass cap. If they're claiming 26 then 30 should be within reach. Driving with my foot instead of cruise control adds 10-20%, coasting down a little before stopping, and not following too close make the most difference. If you boil it down: when you buy gas you turn money into fuel, when you accelerate you turn fuel into power and movement, and when you brake you turn movement into heat. So, if you follow too close you have to brake often and then apply more throttle(burn more gas/money), where if you were back a ways you could avoid turning so much of your fuel budget into heat by braking less.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Not a surprise for me that Rangers have never met published mpg numbers. My former 1998 XLT 2.5 Lima, Regular Cab, RWD with manual transmission never met it nor has my current 2011 XLT 4.0 SOHC, Super Cab, 4X4 with manual transmission. So, it's no surprise the new Ranger isn't doing so either. I guess with all the scandals that have gone on with VW and Dodge, it's suddenly a big deal that was never really even given a second thought before. Anyway, here's what TFL Truck has to say about it and what they got for mpg.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Kind of a sensationalist title for the second video, wonder if they have an interview with Batboy on their website too...

There are so many variables which is why I kind of blow off the rating.

What kind of gas were they using? Ethanol dings mpg. Like they said they were going uphill and varying elevation, that would ding mileage. Driving in snow at reduced speed, that will ding mileage too. Headwind will not do you any favors either.

There is so much crap going on that it is hard to be really scientific and say "Ford was wrong because I only got 20mpg!" with their little test.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Kind of a sensationalist title for the second video, wonder if they have an interview with Batboy on their website too...

There are so many variables which is why I kind of blow off the rating.

What kind of gas were they using? Ethanol dings mpg. Like they said they were going uphill and varying elevation, that would ding mileage. Driving in snow at reduced speed, that will ding mileage too. Headwind will not do you any favors either.

There is so much crap going on that it is hard to be really scientific and say "Ford was wrong because I only got 20mpg!" with their little test.
I'm not saying you are wrong for sure. Being that I live in the Appalachian Plateau, it's a bit more relevant to me and what to expect than say someone in the Midwest. Because of the hills and valleys, I'm sure I take a hit on fuel mileage.

I do agree the titles are click baity. As far as the fuel, looking where they were driving from and too, I would be really surprised of they had non-ethanol fuel available to even use. Their methods aren't always the most scientific but I don't think they do a bad job either. In the end, we'll see how good a job they did. With the transmission issue, it seems like my order has been delayed since the dealer hasn't gotten a VIN yet for my order (ordered December 31) or the four they ordered for stock. From what a buddy of mine is telling me. The company he works for makes the part in question and apparently someone screwed the pooch somewhere and made some out of spec parts. So Ford is scrambling to keep the line running and sort out the bad parts in the process.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Going out the to the Mustang Rally in Sturgis we run ethanol free gas (brother likes to run premium in his car) until South Dakota, we take a 3-4mpg hit when we get gas at Sioux Falls.

I would be surprised if they could get ethanol free but usually the pumps are marked if they have ethanol around here, not sure if they do that out there.

Not knocking them too hard but you can't measure two things two different ways and expect it to come out the same.

Midwest terrian is varied, SW Iowa is more like Missouri than Kansas, we got hills.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've only had one opportunity to run ethanol free gas on a chance stop on Ohio one time. I did not notice what exit it was so wasn't able to stop again. There was a marked improvement in performance and fuel mileage was much better. I really wish I could find that gas station again. The only way we can get ethanol free here is from a specialty off road equipment company/dealer and pay through the nose for it. Way too much to justify the benefits of fuel economy vs cost per gallon of fuel.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Somehow in the middle of corn country it isn't very mandated yet. Quite a few gas stations carry non-ethanol options (especially with premium)

My brother runs premium in his car because it gives him 20hp more or something, I run ethanol free 87 octane in everything I own that has a carburator because of reliablity concerns. My DD doesn't really care about E10.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Somehow in the middle of corn country it isn't very mandated yet. Quite a few gas stations carry non-ethanol options (especially with premium)

My brother runs premium in his car because it gives him 20hp more or something, I run ethanol free 87 octane in everything I own that has a carburator because of reliablity concerns. My DD doesn't really care about E10.
A lot of it depends on the political bent and mind set of the state government.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Before we had ethanol in our gas I could drive through the New England hills to Carmel, NY where we'd stop for lunch and get 20mpg with my 04 Ranger. After lunch I'd fill up with 10% ethanol and get 19 mpg on the rest of the trip to Pa, which is relatively flat compared to New England. When my 11 Ranger is cold started on 10% ethanol the exhaust smell would make a billy goat puke. The way ethanol is produced in the US it costs more oil than it saves, having it in our gas reduces mileage, and it causes problems with small engines. If you use it in a carbureted vehicle(like I tried in the 70's when it first appeared here as a novelty) you can't start it with dynamite in sub zero weather. Adding ethanol was a purely political move that helps no one but corn farmers and their reps in congress.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not even really helping corn farmers anymore, right now corn prices are about the same they were in the '80's.

When I first got my place and corn was $7+ bu I thought I was going to hit it big, my little 6 acres is going to be a nice side gig. Next year (2013) was $4bu. Now it is $3bu. Its fun but with seed and chemicals it is about a wash now not even counting fuel, no idea how people make a living at it.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If it's not benefitting the corn farmers either I wish they'd make it go away. Brazil runs most of their cars on alcohol or E85 but they have sugar cane to make it out of. If E85 was available everywhere compression ratios could go way up and engines could get smaller and make the same power but it would take years to phase out gas as a fuel.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals