• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fix for the early sohc 4.0 fuel pressure regulator

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
has any one discovered a fix for the fpr? i cant seem to find one of that size any where. internet says the discontinued, cant find one on ebay. to my knowledge ohv never used a actual fuel rail besides the one that went beloe the upper and lower manifolds.

i still have the fuel line extensions from the oem ohv setup and my ohv 4.0 fpr, that is nearly brand new, i kjnow when i swapped engines i was originally going to use the ohv unit, the o-ring fit. but the bolt spacing was like an inch off. i may try and figure something out with that fpr.

so has any one figured out anything? i searched for like 2 hours and kept finding dead ends.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1998 and up Rangers have the FPR in the gas tank on the lift hose, or on the top of the tank where 3rd fuel filter fuel hose connects

Those year do have a fuel pressure pulse damper on the fuel rail, a rubber diaphragm to stop pressure waves in the rail from building up
It has a vacuum line attached in case diaphragm leaks

The pulse damper looks similar to the 1997 and earlier FPRs, but has no Return Fuel line so can't regulate pressure

Pulse damper example here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Fuel-Pressure-Damper-Re-for-99-06-Ford-Mazda-Mercury-1L2E-9F775-AB-FPD80-/263559540201

When injectors open and close it creates pressure waves in the rail, the FPRs diaphragm would absorbs these wave so they didn't build up
When Returnless system was used the FPR at the rail couldn't be used but the pressure wave issue was still there, so Pulse Damper was used
Has the diaphragm but no Return line or pressure valve, vacuum line is there so when diaphragm fails fuel won't leak out onto hot engine parts

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it was my understanding that only the 97 sohc had a return style fuel pressure regualtor, so only the explorer got it. which is why it ended up being a discontinued part.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals