• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First Gen Cooling System -- 2.8 V6

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi all,

Not sure which forum to post this in, so I chose the general discussion.

My 85 BII has a leak on the cooling system. It only occurs after you drive it for a while for the first time of the day and get it to temperature then cut the engine off, and it will begin leaking. I believe it may be a hose, but I cannot confirm yet. Once it leaks down a little it stops leaking.

My thought process is that the system is building pressure with the radiator cap like it is supposed to, then when the system is no longer circulating coolant with the water pump the pressure makes a older hose leak.

So this brings me to my question, how many soft hoses are on the cooling system for the 2.8?

I can see the thermostat is below the water pump (oh joy) and there are a few hoses running through the short circuit before the thermostat opens up.

The upper and lower hose to the radiator have been replaced and don't appear to be leaking, but I believe I need to replace other soft hoses and thermostat while I'm in there.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
From all this I believe I have ruled out the water pump.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is a bypass hose that runs from the backside of the lower thermostat housing (on the back of the timing cover below the PS pump) up high... on mine.

I had a late '85 with the thermostat at the top though.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There is a bypass hose that runs from the backside of the lower thermostat housing (on the back of the timing cover below the PS pump) up high... on mine.

I had a late '85 with the thermostat at the top though.
Was there a change in the thermostat location? I believe what I saw last night was the thermostat below the fan... It was getting dark...

Last edited:

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks like there was a change in location from what Rock Auto has... it was a lower T-stat until 12/84. Mine was built in 9/84.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine was built 2/85.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you can get a hold of a cooling system pressure tester, you can pressurize it and maybe hear or see where the leak is at. I've found some really weird ones - the most recent was on a brand new upper radiator hose. There are these little strings inside the rubber, visible from the cut end of the hose, and coolant was somehow making its way through where one of those was and out the cut end of the hose. A second hose clamp fixed that right up. Found another one where coolant appeared to be coming out of the thermostat housing - it turned out to be from a heater hose right above it, AND, the timing cover gasket was seeping a little.

All that was on a 4.0 but it's universal advise, being able to pressurize the cooling system can really help track down the source.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you can get a hold of a cooling system pressure tester, you can pressurize it and maybe hear or see where the leak is at. I've found some really weird ones - the most recent was on a brand new upper radiator hose. There are these little strings inside the rubber, visible from the cut end of the hose, and coolant was somehow making its way through where one of those was and out the cut end of the hose. A second hose clamp fixed that right up. Found another one where coolant appeared to be coming out of the thermostat housing - it turned out to be from a heater hose right above it, AND, the timing cover gasket was seeping a little.

All that was on a 4.0 but it's universal advise, being able to pressurize the cooling system can really help track down the source.
I hadn't thought of that.

Thank you for the good advice as usual.

I see my local Orielly's has a test kit for rent. That should help out.

Dsetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you fill the upper hose to make sure you don't have a bubble?
Mine was also expelling liquid while flushing it(just filled rad), stopped when I did a proper change.

Another option to find it is a uv dye kit.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you fill the upper hose to make sure you don't have a bubble?
Mine was also expelling liquid while flushing it(just filled rad), stopped when I did a proper change.

Another option to find it is a uv dye kit.
I haven't done any flushing, just topping off of fluid that were already in there.

I did add coolant to it while it was running with the cap off for a little bit.

I plan to complete a flush and replace the 35 year old hoses that are left along with the thermostat this weekend.

I'm hoping that will address everything. I was just wanting to make sure it wasn't a water pump leak with my line of thinking. Guess I'll find out this weekend.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What temp is everyone running for a thermostat? I believe the stock is 192 degrees. That's what I have ordered as a replacement.

Just curious, I don't believe this engine has ever had over heating problems.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got to work on it today. I have the old style thermostat where it is built into the timing cover.

What.

A.

Pain.

In.

The.

Ass.

I was able to replace the bypass hoses and put in a new thermostat with a new gasket on each side.

It doesn't poor any coolant out anymore, but it has a slight drip occasionally. I think the rear gasket to the thermostat housing isn't in there just right. It was a little thin anyhow. I'm going to see if I can find a better seal and replace it later.

It is definitely driveable now, and it no longer has a massive leak. I clean out the year old coolant too.

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup, I hated that on mine. It was the same minus the thermostat being there with the two hose fittings sandwiching the timing cover. I loosened the PS pump and flopped it out of the way (left the hoses connected)

Stupid design, the threaded holes for the back housing were also stripped on mine so I got longer bolts and ran nuts on the back side.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm going to take it apart again and use some RTV made for water pumps on the gaskets it was supplied with.

I'm sure I can make it stop leaking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals