• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer engine'trans into 98 Ranger

stillwater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 Ranger XLT
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98 Ranger 2WD with the 2.5 automatic, from a recent trade with a friend.
Also giving me his 96 Ranger 2WD, both short bed. 96 has no engine but a 5spd trans.

I was going to V8 the 96, with a 5.0 and the manual. However, I found out the frame is badly bent in the front end. That truck needs a WHOLE lotta work :(

I've read that the 98 Ranger accepts a 5.0 from an Explorer fairly easily with its smaller accessories. However I've seen on this site that there are some emissions/engine management issues to consider, however this seems to be a good swap.

My state is not concerned with emissions, therefore I need to know if anyone has done this type of swap, what I need to know (feel free to give references), and any needed info. I even considered a 5.8 swap but I understand this is a toughie (and that was w/ the 96. I wasn't expecting to swap the 98. Any help is greatly appreciated. :headbang:

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, +1 ^^^ , go to that page and look in the Conversion section

5.0l manual trans will be the M5OD-R2, also call M5R2, Rangers used the smaller version, M5OD-R1(M5R1) which won't bolt to 5.0l

Best fit for Ranger will be an M5R2 from a 1997 and up F-150 with 4.2l V6, 2WD version if thats what you want
4.2l V6 has the same transmission bolt pattern as 5.0l, you need to make bell house bolt holes larger, 5.0l used SAE, 4.2l metric, so reem holes out a bit

The older M5R2s had the shifter farther forward so hits the dash in Rangers, need to custom bend the shift arm

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Stillwater:

If you aren't indisposed to running an automatic in your 2wd '98; then you have the option of a relatively close to stock solution. The 4R70W found in a Mustang/F-150 4x2 with V-6 would bolt up in place of the Explorer's 4x4* version of the same.

Then all you need are the mounting plates and it is a bolt in. Then get the ignition codes removed and you're running (albeit with a V-8/auto).

*There are 4x2 Explorers out there with the perfect combo, but they are rather rare.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals