• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Erratic idle and wont rev up very well at all

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I guess I didn't read the part about it running perfect with the alternator disconnected :huh:. Well, at least that narrows it down to an electrical problem. Have you checked the connectors that are on the drivers side inner wheel well. The insulation on the wires there have a tendency to shrink and have been known to cause problems.
Have you tested the voltage output of the alternator as you're attempting to rev it (at least 1800 rpm)? Also, when you check the voltage, check for AC voltage. If you have any AC voltage it's the alternator. I just read that a shorted diode in the alternator will introduce AC voltage. Real bad for your electronics, and not necessarily detectable when testing the alternator at your local auto parts store. It's too bad you don't have an old spare alternator to try a swap.
:iamwithstupid:
I ran into a Chevy cavalier about 15-16 years ago that was “leaking” AC voltage from the alternator... it would run 100% perfect with the alternator disconnected, but you hook it back up and all hell broke loose. Every light on the dash lit up, random misfires, wouldn’t accelerate, etc. AC voltage can cause havoc.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Okay....went ahead and replaced HP fuel pump. Cleaned all grounds again. Took the alternator wire harness completely off and inspected and wrapped with new electrical tape reinstalled. STILL having the same problem. It will mot Rev past 2k without throwing a huge fit, cutting out and almost sounding like I'm losing all electrical power. Tried using a brand new battery, no change. It will idle just fine, and it runs perfect with the alternator unplugged. It has a brand new alternator with new regulator. I had it tested at autozone and tested good. And I've tested it, it is putting out 14.4 volts at idle.
How does that little tiny wire look that is grounded to the core support off the negative terminal...thats an ECM ground

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
...Have you checked the connectors that are on the drivers side inner wheel well. The insulation on the wires there have a tendency to shrink and have been known to cause problems...
I just found that on a junkyard harness I picked up, only this one had bare wires on the relay connectors (all three of them) and on one of the main plugs on the engine (the one that plugs into the tfi module). That one was actually hidden by the factory electrical tape.
With the problems flatbedder81 has, bare wires may not be affecting it, but I say it never hurts to check. These old trucks are only getting older. I guess we're bound to run into weirdo problems that most cars never live to get.

Flatbedder81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
All the grounds checked out good, and they have all been cleaned and inspected. This is a brand new alternator, I replaced the last one because when I unplugged it, it ran perfect. So I thought, huh...must be a bad alternator. Now, that being said, it seemed it run perfect for a few minutes after new alternator was installed, but quickly started acting up again. Just a side note, this has a red top Optima battery that is dated from 2016. I did buy and install a new battery, and it had the same issue, but it was after it started acting up with the new alternator. Is there any way a battery could screw up the voltage regulator on an alternator? I am going to see if it's throwing and AC voltage if my DVOM is capable of reading AC.

Flatbedder81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Can I check for AC at the battery?

Flatbedder81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Okay....went out and checked voltage at coil. With key on, all checks out. When it cuts out, it will spike up about a ¼ to a ½ volt right before it cuts out and drops about the same during and after the cutout. Another interesting thing is I took the voltage at the voltage regulator connector (harness side), I get full volts at the yellow/white wire with key off, which is correct according to my manual. But I also get voltage from the middle wire (yellow/black?), when I wiggle my probe it jumps from 5 to down to a ½ a volt?? Could this be my short or is this normal?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals