• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dynomax exhaust muffler replacement

Fordblue213

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Back in 2009, I installed a Dynomax cat back exhaust (WLK-17315) along with the JBA shorty headers and a tuner. The other day I got in the truck and as soon as I started it, I noticed the exhaust note was louder. I was heading to work, so I just went ahead anyway. Once I had some time at lunch, I looked under the truck and started to shake things back and forth. The inlet connection to the muffler had sheared off at the weld to the muffler housing. The muffler had the number 17748 on it, so after some looking around, Advance Auto actually had that # in stock right near my house.

I picked it up yesterday and swapped it out today. Not too bad of a job. The biggest hassle was getting the pieces of the muffler off the exhaust piping where the clamps had bit down. I ended up just cutting the clamps with a cordless grinder, them making a few cuts down the length of the pieces and peeling them back like a banana to get them off. Then the new muffler slipped right back in. The truck is noticeably quieter now. Tomorrows commute will tell. I'm sure its just been getting worse over time and I just got used to it.

The old muffler was pretty shot despite the case looking good. This is looking into the inlet where the pipe sheared off:

And this is what came out of the muffler while wrestling it off off the tailpipe section:

When I get home from work tomorrow, I might drill a small hole in the back bottom corner of the case to see if any condensation comes out. I looks like that is what may have killed this one.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You got 10 years out of it. Most auto store replacements only last 2-3 before they start leaking. I’d say you got your money’s worth

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Flowmaster DBX on my Sport Trac. I like it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals