• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark Conversion mistake made.

kopps84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
so i recently did the conversion and it works, only issue im having now is i guess i got a cut happy on the wires and ended up cutting the alternator stator and field wires, i was looking at wiring diagrams and it says they running to the voltage regulator, but im not seeing anything remotely close the the wire colors. and helpful words knowledge would be greatly appreciated. its on a 1984 if that helps.

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
lol.......i'm in the middle of this exact conversion right now........i know where and what you did wrong, because i almost cut the harness and those wires and caught myself just before i did it, it took about 10 min to un jumble the harness and seperate those wires....basically they run from the alternator over to the harness connector over by the drivers fender well and contain in the harness pack all the wires for the gauges as well.........if you still have the harness you can pull the wiring out of the harness and reconnect it....if you want when i get home i can tell you the colors? mine is an 84 as well, right now i have the harness out and intake off resealing the intake , waiting for gaskets to arrive.

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
lol.......i'm in the middle of this exact conversion right now........i know where and what you did wrong, because i almost cut the harness and those wires and caught myself just before i did it, it took about 10 min to un jumble the harness and seperate those wires....basically they run from the alternator over to the harness connector over by the drivers fender well and contain in the harness pack all the wires for the gauges as well.........if you still have the harness you can pull the wiring out of the harness and reconnect it....if you want when i get home i can tell you the colors? mine is an 84 as well, right now i have the harness out and intake off resealing the intake , waiting for gaskets to arrive.
Hey fellas! I’m getting ready to do this on an ’85. I’ve read the duraspark conversion threads and I’m still not absolutely certain whether I’ll be successful. I’ve pulled the motor and trans, and have disconnected all the engine wires but I haven’t cut anything yet. What I’d like to do is rewrite the Duraspark conversion process with all the current part numbers, sources, etc. If you‘d be willing, please let me know what you run into, and take photos if possible. PM me and I’ll give you my email. Over the last 40 years I’ve written technical documentation and training manuals for GE, NASA, Microsoft, VMWare and a slew of others. I think I can make this a little easier to follow.

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey fellas! I’m getting ready to do this on an ’85. I’ve read the duraspark conversion threads and I’m still not absolutely certain whether I’ll be successful. I’ve pulled the motor and trans, and have disconnected all the engine wires but I haven’t cut anything yet. What I’d like to do is rewrite the Duraspark conversion process with all the current part numbers, sources, etc. If you‘d be willing, please let me know what you run into, and take photos if possible. PM me and I’ll give you my email. Over the last 40 years I’ve written technical documentation and training manuals for GE, NASA, Microsoft, VMWare and a slew of others. I think I can make this a little easier to follow.
it's not that hard....i'm a L1 mastertech.....and have done countless duraspark conversions on mustangs over the years for guys and the bronco 2 is not really that difficult...on an 84 there is a plug already that exists to plug the duraspark box into, from there the other connector goes to the distributor and they sell pigtails for that.

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
mines a ranger but I don’t think it matters. I just see lots of postings with confusion at the root.

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I’ve sourced all the parts, some eBay, some JCWhitney, dist I found at O’Reilly’s on-line. I haven’t seen that article. Thx!
i got most my parts from rock auto, ebay, and some from my local napa

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I’ve assembled a complete set of original Ford factory shop manuals. Everything from parts break downs to full wiring and vacuum, even the A4LD stuff. My memory isn’t what it was so I carefully label everything and bag & tag the parts. Thank the powers for cell phone cameras too! I’m hoping to dig in and get some progress made over the holiday.

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I’ve assembled a complete set of original Ford factory shop manuals. Everything from parts break downs to full wiring and vacuum, even the A4LD stuff. My memory isn’t what it was so I carefully label everything and bag & tag the parts. Thank the powers for cell phone cameras too! I’m hoping to dig in and get some progress made over the holiday.
good luck......mine is just a plow truck, and if you saw it you'd laugh, it's rough but gets the job done :)

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My ‘03, which I love dearly, was sacrificed to work truck duty about 10 yrs ago. She’s rough on the outside but hard as nails inside. The ‘85 will be my Sunday go to Meeting truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals