• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dumb radius arm question

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Tearing down my new axles right now to make them look less like rusted piles of crap.

Noticed on the new Dana 35 that one of the radius arms has a hole rusted through it. Also, it does not have the "underhand" front sway bar mounts like my current D28.

Are the radius arms interchangeable between the D28 and D35? If possible, I'd prefer to run my old arms due to less repair work needed.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yes. 100% interchangeable, the ONLY difference is the lower shock mount. Most D28s have a tab and a bolt that goes through it instead of a stud. I feel that this is a better design anyway... I usually use D28 arms when I'm putting a new axle together.

Some D28s also have a sway bar attached inside the radius arms as well rather than in front of the axle like newer trucks - this can be used or removed, up to you.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yes. 100% interchangeable, the ONLY difference is the lower shock mount. Most D28s have a tab and a bolt that goes through it instead of a stud. I feel that this is a better design anyway... I usually use D28 arms when I'm putting a new axle together.

Some D28s also have a sway bar attached inside the radius arms as well rather than in front of the axle like newer trucks - this can be used or removed, up to you.
Copy. I have the tab style ones on my D28 arms, and I agree, they are a good design.

Primary reason I want to retain them is I have the sway bar mounted inside, and want to run the frame mounted one as well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup, interchangeable. I used my D28 arms on my D35 swap.

Also when you break the coil spring studs getting the D35 apart D28 ones of those will work if you flip them over (watch the length though, may rub on axleshaft inside the beam)

I think it was CJ sway bar disconnects that looked adaptable if you want to make the front sway bar easier to disconnect for trail rides... Rough Country had a set for $50 that looked promising when I was thinking about doing that.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
FWIW you are going to have a hell of a time finding the front sway bar bushings, the D28 style, if you look for that part for a Ranger. It will NOT fit. I went rounds with NAPA, Carquest, Autozone and O'Reilly and Rock Auto before discovering that the correct part for the Ranger is listed to fit a 1982 Ford Granada at every store. FYI...may save you some time. O'Reilly was the cheapest at like $9 for the pair.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
FWIW you are going to have a hell of a time finding the front sway bar bushings, the D28 style, if you look for that part for a Ranger. It will NOT fit. I went rounds with NAPA, Carquest, Autozone and O'Reilly and Rock Auto before discovering that the correct part for the Ranger is listed to fit a 1982 Ford Granada at every store. FYI...may save you some time. O'Reilly was the cheapest at like $9 for the pair.
No joke. First try on amazon, $3.50. Got mine as a warehouse deal.

Prothane 6-1107-BL Black 1-1/8" Front Sway Bar Bushing Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00387O792/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZAO1DbRC9GB17

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yup, interchangeable. I used my D28 arms on my D35 swap.

Also when you break the coil spring studs getting the D35 apart D28 ones of those will work if you flip them over (watch the length though, may rub on axleshaft inside the beam)

I think it was CJ sway bar disconnects that looked adaptable if you want to make the front sway bar easier to disconnect for trail rides... Rough Country had a set for $50 that looked promising when I was thinking about doing that.
Yup, planned on doing essentially exactly that. Had them on one of my XJs - they rattle a bit every now and then, but are awesome to have when you need them.

Still planning on running both duals front and rear just to see what happens at first - I have em, so why not use em?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I don't see any reason not to run both.

Pretty sure I looked at that Prothane kit you found when I was looking for mine, but my sway bar was 1" diameter. That was probably what caused my problem to begin with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals