• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drove one last week

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
I finally got the opportunity to drive a new Ranger last week. One of the largest volume dealers in the Pittsburgh area, Shults Ford has a bunch of them between their two locations. So I scheduled an appointment for last Thursday after work and went up drove an entry-level XL Supercab fleet truck with basically no other options except 4wd, locking diff, and a cool back up alarm. Salesman explained it was part of a fleet order that the company backed out of and didn't purchase all the trucks they had ordered. This truck even had vinyl seats with the rear seat delete package. The rear seat delete is one option I'm actually interested in as I would never be putting people back there. that area would be reserved for cargo and/or pets. For pets I can always put down a large pillow for them to lay on. I told the guy I'm thinking probably the STX package on the XL but I wanted to drive that one just to get an idea of how it drives and how much real interior space there is in a supercab. Numbers don't mean much until you see one.
All in all, I was impressed! I like that truck! The size is right, The 2.3 Ecoboost felt like it plenty of power at any given time with the 10-speed automatic. It rode and handled nice on some back roads. It had a quiet and solid feel to it. Visibility outside was great, which is one thing I've always felt my 2012 F-150 is lacking in. The side mirrors provide good visibility for that size of a truck. When we got back to the dealer afetr the drive I backed into a spot between two other trucks and found it very easy to park. Only used the rear camera to spot the distance between myself and the expensive new Super Duty behind me. This model of course did not have the Co-Pilot 360 option with the sonar in the back bumper. Not sure I'd want that package either since I want as few electro-nannies as possible in my truck.
Having owned two previous Rangers, an 86 and a 95, I think this 2019 model does a great job of carrying that torch. I would like to see a naturally-aspirated engine option but that's just me. Obviously this truck was way quieter and more solid-feeling than I remember my 1986 truck being, but then, it better be! It's got 33 years of technology improvements over that first-gen! Unfortunately it's also a lot heavier and more complex than even the last-generation Ranger of 2011. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot bigger than the 2011's though. If anyone has photos of the two lined up side-by side I'd be intetrested in seeing them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Size is on par with a 2nd gen Sport Trac.

Back seat is kind worthless on the Supercab, nice that it can be deleted.

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I think you can only delete the rear seat if you buy the XL. It does save you a couple hundred $ though. Not sure about crew cabs as I haven't spec'ed one out. I have no need for the crew cab and I'm too cheap to pay for it. ;missingteeth;

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I drove one 3 weeks ago an orangeish color short cab I think xlt, which yes drives nice felt comfortable with the leather seats but I kept going for that clutch and shifter. I don't think I can bring myself to buy a new one, for 3 reason no single cab, no manual, only 1 engine option even though I would most likely take the 4 banger over a 6 unless a diesel engine was available. every ranger I have ever owned 89 (2.9 stx), 90 (2.3), 98 (3.0), drove an 04 (4.0) for a while for work was a manual transmission. All but the 98 3.0 5 spd was a single cab that was the one with the goofy jump seats. I love those single cabs. So maybe its just me but its almost my religious belief that a ranger should have a manual transmission and 2 seats. So i was disappointed in the end.

TimberWolf2018

Canada Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have owned an 88, and a 2011. But yes, my new 19 is significantly larger, but not in a bad way. I have had a standard cab, an extended cab, and a full crewcab on this new Ranger.
Much prefer the full crew. But you would have never convinced me of that until I got in one...
Now I will never buy a new truck that isnt a full crewcab.

Earl764

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I test drove a fully pimped out Lariat. Was nice, but too much $$$$. Found an xlt extended cab without sync3/nav.

Replaced an ‘06 Colorado.

Ride is very nice.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I test drove a fully pimped out Lariat. Was nice, but too much $$$$. Found an xlt extended cab without sync3/nav.

Replaced an ‘06 Colorado.

Ride is very nice.
any pics???

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Very Nice! The white looks good with the chrome package.
Since it appears you traded a 2006 Colorado for this, I'm curious if you looked at the new Colorado? If so, what helped you make the decision to buy the Ranger? I'm asking because I would be tempted to buy the Colorado/Canyon over this Ranger for the simple fact that they offer a N/A V6 whereas the Ranger only offers the Turbo-4.

Earl764

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Very Nice! The white looks good with the chrome package.
Since it appears you traded a 2006 Colorado for this, I'm curious if you looked at the new Colorado? If so, what helped you make the decision to buy the Ranger? I'm asking because I would be tempted to buy the Colorado/Canyon over this Ranger for the simple fact that they offer a N/A V6 whereas the Ranger only offers the Turbo-4.
Two words: Colorado shudder.

I too was watching the Colorado for some time. I likely would have bought sooner, but the forums are lit up with a gm transmission problem that is on its 4th or 5th fix.

I just couldn’t roll the dice on that kind of $ and issue.

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on GM forums as well as this one before pulling any triggers. I'm interested in the Nissan Frontier also but I've heard their transmissions don't like to pushed too hard either.

toddiscdn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Buddy at work has the diesel GM, hes a ball scout and puts a ton of miles on, but I think its more stout than the V6 and its tranny issues. I came from a Frontier and it was a decent truck, pig on fuel, around 16mpg average. Only issue I had was pinion bearing and seal, no long before I traded it, transmisiion was fine with light towing, v6 4x4 crew cab BTW.

Im a bit biased now, but the ecoboost is as stout or better than any of the many v6 mid sized trucks Ive had. I too being an old guy had a hard time wrapping my head around the 4 banger, a 2.3 was a Pinto motor back in the day and early boosted 2.3s like the SVO and turbo T-bird had thier share of issues, totally different motor back then.

This however is whole new ball game, after many positive early reviews I went for it, got the first one to roll of a truck around here in Jan., and was immediately impressed. It got even better the first time I hooked up the snowmobile trailer to head north, tows like a dream, wouldnt hardly know that brick of a trailer was back there, 500 klicks each way with lots of hills etc, no problems. Ya , 1 engine choice is a bit annoying, but its a good one.

Anyway, Im not trying to sell you the koolaid, just saying Im very happy with my move. Frontier isnt a bad truck, just very dated and hard on fuel, can be had for decent price though, just me but I wouldnt touch the GM, except maybe the diesel. YMMV

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals