• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dropping a ranger? Help

icy650r

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A buddy of mine is wanting to bag the front of his ranger so it will lay frame. Does any1 in here have any pics of there ranger laying frame or know how to do it? Keeping in mind that he has I-beam front suspension. I seen in a place on here where some1 was talking about flipping there I-beams any ideas on that. any help would be appreciated.:dntknw:

Monzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I think flipping the I-beams will raise it. Never heard of that before. I got over 6" of drop with drop beams and coils. There are a few posts on here with bagged Ranger I-beam suspension. Installing pads/brackets and bags.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Best way of laying frame and just about any truck you are going to have to Z the frame to get the frame on the ground. You are also going to need radius arm relocators and a tranny crossmemeber that sists above the lowwer frame rail lip. Some torsion bar bag mounts, the universal one from Suicidedoors.com is a decent set, but I would research more if I were just to be sure you get the best stuff for your Ranger.

Now depending on how much you want to go into this project I would probably recomened clipping the front end, with either a Yota clip, a newer 98-up Ranger, or a Mustang II clip.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Best way of laying frame and just about any truck you are going to have to Z the frame to get the frame on the ground. You are also going to need radius arm relocators and a tranny crossmemeber that sists above the lowwer frame rail lip. Some torsion bar bag mounts, the universal one from Suicidedoors.com is a decent set, but I would research more if I were just to be sure you get the best stuff for your Ranger.

Now depending on how much you want to go into this project I would probably recomened clipping the front end, with either a Yota clip, a newer 98-up Ranger, or a Mustang II clip.
umm, not quite.

Your buddy will need drop I-beams, DJM Dream Beams work the best for bagging and are the cheapest.

To lay out with an I-beam truck you DO NOT need to Z the frame, thats just 98+ rangers so just forget that anyone said that.

You will need bag mounts and brackets for the beams.

Heres the ones Suicide Doors makes: http://suicidedoors.com/RangerI-BeamFrontBagBrackets.php
It takes a bit of tinkering to get them exactly right, they have a tendency to rub if you're not carefull.

Heres a picture of them installed on my friends '94.

You will need to notch the engine crossmember for the i-beams to clear, and notch the frame for the tie-rods. This all depends on what size wheels/tires you run also, we pretty much set my friends up for 20" wheels. If you set it up for 17s and small tires there would be a bit less cutting.

You will need these two things also to lay flat out...
http://suicidedoors.com/FordRangerRadius.php
http://suicidedoors.com/FordRangerTransmission.php

We also did a 4-link in the rear..

final result at a carshow a month after getting it driveable (still looks basically the same over a year later)

Last edited:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Yeah I would say I have seen WAY better front setups than that. It almost looks un safe.

Monzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Im confused. Is that a cast iron beam with a mild steel bracket welded to it? Im not saying thats impossible. Welding cast iron alone takes a hot arc welder and some big dollar nickle rod. And pre-heating the iron along with slow cooldown.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
No I do believe it is drop beams which are steel, I do believe welding on them would be just like welding on anything else.

icy650r

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help guys i heard it was so much harder than that to bag the front of a ranger every1 i talk to tell me it isnt worth it but that looks like less work than bagging my 00 extreme on 20's. Now that is almost not worth it. I did say almost its still worth it tho

icy650r

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oh and ZMAN do you have a pic of that of the bag and bracket at full lift?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals