• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drive shafts for T5

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What are the drive shaft options for the T5 to 8.8 rear on a regular cab regular bed 2wd 90 ranger? Do we need to get them made or are there existing options.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had mocked a 94-95 t5 in my 90 shortbed. And the factory driveshaft worked perfectly fine.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine placement fore/aft will be an issue that changes it, as well as whether the bellhousing is SN95 or Foxbody. Not to mention what style of fan and radiator one is using. You could tailor the engine and radiator/fan install to your length of driveshaft.

I used an Explorer Limited aluminum driveshaft and had to have 7/8" cut out of it if I remember right. That much space could be adjusted to work with the stock Expo shaft if your engine was moved forward, but that depends on what fan/radiator you're using, etc..

Then your trans crossmember would also have to be tailored/modded to bolt up.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Im trying to decide what I want to do since I think I washed out a cam bearing the oil just isn't getting too the top of the engine so while the truck is apart I might as well change some things around depending on how much power I plan to make etc. I was thinking about getting a reman short block and do the same setup as before or just drop in a stock mustang motor or a exploder motor and change out 2 sensors and the oil pan. Or that 351w then its more changes. Then again winter is basically here so I guess there isnt really a rush to get it back on the road I found a few options they all have there obvious pro and cons, a 87-93 5.0 a guy has a few he want $600 found a 97 exploder engine $450 and a reman short block is gonna be around $1400 before new cam and lifters if mine is ruined thats $400 for a Bcam and trickflow lifters. Figure $150 for the rear main seal, head gaskets and bolts, I have a new oil pump and the timing set is basically new and I have another one in the box. The valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket is reusable. Also a built 5.0 that was in my friends turbo fox and built t5 but that trans is basically for racing a unsync dog box. So unless in traffic $5500. So the sploder motor 2 sensors and the oil pan need changed comes with 3bar heads and gt40 intake, fox 5.0 straight drop in after refreshing some gaskets and timing cover swap (i think) reman engine lots of time and extra cost, just put my heads on, cam in, and seals gaskets and oil pump/pan. I dont know I want do, If I decide to make power but then the transmission will turn to glass if I dont change that......

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals