• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Downshifting the 2019 Ranger

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I've driven the mustang with the 10 speed. Exact same transmission. The mustang has paddle shift, I know the ranger just has the shifter up-down buttons but otherwise same thing.

What wild bill said is accurate. In sport mode you can manually shift but as I said before it's only partial control. It will stop you from downshifting too far. The button/paddle just stops working. The computer wont let you do anything beyond it's set parameters. So does it hurt the engine or transmission to downshift? 100% absolutely not, because the computer simply wont let you do anything that would hurt it.

The only way you're gonna find out if it's right for you is to test drive it again, put it in manual control and see how it works. Coming from a toyota manual... its gonna be a big change. But the brakes on the ranger are probably twice as strong as your current Toyota.
Some of them will manually downshift immediately some will do so when they feel like it and with a 10 speed automatic transmission with close ratio gears you'll quickly realize in order for it to actually start doing any sort of braking you've downshifted 6 gears at least before you feel it start having any hold back to it. As far as damage, eventually it will damage something if it starts slamming through gears as its shifting, who knows when that will be with today's electronics its hard to really predict. If you are towing and need the engine to hold you back, you should have been in a lower gear at the top of the hill in the first place usually the same gear you went up the hill in, or one gear lower. The manual mode isn't a manual transmission mode, its just a gimmick to make people feel cool, in some vehicles it acts like a manual transmission with an automatic clutch but the Ranger isn't one of those. It just tells the computer to not let it shift above whatever gear you manually select, it still shifts through all the gears up to the gear you locked it out of. So if you select 4th gear it'll shift 1st through 4th gear only. Unlike some older automatics where if you selected say 2nd gear it stayed in 2nd gear regardless. Today's automatics shift through them all up and down regardless what gear you've chosen. Not sure if the new Rangers do it or not but some don't even use 1st gear on takeoff under certain conditions, or you manually have to select 1st gear if you want to use 1st.

The paddle shift on the Mustang does the same thing as the buttons on the gearshift in the ranger does. Some vehicles have a dual clutch automatic which allows people to act cool manually shifting through the gears but they're not made for the easy driving that people tend to do, those dual clutch automatics are made to get on the gas and go not lollygag around its burning up the clutches as a result.

My aunt has 4 of the new Rangers already awaiting replacement engines with less than 1,000 miles on them. The Transmission issues in the Fiestas and other cars having the shuddering problems with those dual clutch transmissions are caused by improper driving burning up the clutches, even though its an automatic car it still has clutches in it to make it shift manually and the way people are driving them is tearing up the clutches resulting in the shuddering and other related issues. I guess they're replacing the transmissions once for the customer and warning them that their driving technique is what caused the problem, and how to correct the driving technique to prevent it from reoccurring. The best fix is to leave the automatic an automatic and if you want to manually shift then buy a car with a manual transmission LOL.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I find factory Ford front brake pads last about 50K miles for me. Obviously, different drivers will get different results. I always upgrade to better performance pads at the first brake service and get better stopping power plus longer life.
What's great is that since everyone has been convinced ceramic pads are better, the actually better performing semi-metallic pads are cheap with a lifetime warranty at AZ. Buy them once and just keep swapping them out for free.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why not get a boat anchor and throw it out the window. Then you save engine and brakes. HAHA. I would like to know more about the person who has 4 new rangers with bad engines.. What was the cause for the bad engines? Can't just leave us hanging on the edge of a cliff.

toddiscdn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im guessing Aunt Gussies buddy's are having issues with the BS injectors:sneaky:

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
... They don't skip gears, they're just so closely ratio'd you can't tell its shifting. ....
Watch this video... you clearly don't understand the 10 speed transmission in the 2019 Rangers and F-150's.

Last edited:

The Donald

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
All I know is I'm happy I can see what gear I am in by pressing the + in D.
Technically this does put you in Progressive Range Selection mode but if you don't press the - to downshift, you can see your gears on the display.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals