• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Disassembling connectors

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Apparently, my heater blower motor suffered an internal short and melted the A/C heater switch. It has been replaced, and I have a replacement (junkyard) switch and connector. Only the highest setting fried; the others work. The switch is definitely bad; this is not a diagnosis question.

What I'd like to do is replace the one burnt terminal (the ground side), and the plastic housing. I'd rather not cut, solder and heat shrink six wires under the dash, except as a last resort.

But I can't figure out how to get the terminals out of the connector. I thought I could stick my dinky screwdriver through the front, but it didn't release the terminal. Is there a special tool for this? How does it come apart? It seems so obvious, but I guess it isn't.

This is a standard (more or less) six conductor hard-shell connector, female side.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Put the screwdriver through the backside of the connector. Most plugs are pushed in through the back. Hope that helps.

Phil

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
You're on the right track; the "special tools" for removing the common male and female spade-type terminals from a connector body are, essentially, just dinky screwdrivers. The usual trick is to figure out the locking tab arrangement so that you know how best to insert and pry, and what substitute tool will work best (like sometimes a machinist's pick is better than a flat blade). Try using a good a good light and a close eyeball on it to see the lock tab arrangement, or just keep dicking with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals