• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Differences in 1986 BII calipers?

Darel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
235/75R15
Shopping for brake parts for my '86 4wd 5MT and Rockauto lists 2 different calipers, one up to build date of 9/86 and one from 10/86 on. I saw another resource somewhere that mentioned '86 only as having an oddball front brake setup. Does anyone know what the differences are so I can visually confirm what my truck has before I order stuff? I don't entirely trust ordering blind off the build date on the tag 30 years later.

Thanks,
Darel

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
If Rockauto has pictures of the calipers, you might try matching them up with yours. In all of my years using RockAuto, I've found 99% of their pictures to be very accurate in representing the items actually being sold.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
You probably got it fixed by now but I went through this on my '87 Ranger built in '86. Apparently they used phenolic, maybe spelled wrong, pistons in the calipers for a short time instead of steel then they switched back to steel. They both fit the same and mount the same. I just ordered some for an '85 and called it a day. The steel does pit and rust over time but I don't trust plastic like stuff. No problems after about 1000 miles.

Final777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay i have looked everywhere and i came very close to finding my answer in this thread i think so I'll ask all of you out there, this is final777 how are all of you today my problem that I'm having now is i just replaced the rotors calipers and brake pads on my 86 ranger 2wd the problem is is that the brake pads that are suppose to fit my vehicle, the torque buttons do not seat solidly in to my calipers I've bought 4 brake pads sets and three caliper sets but none the sets match up. Am i missing something here?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Okay i have looked everywhere and i came very close to finding my answer in this thread i think so I'll ask all of you out there, this is final777 how are all of you today my problem that I'm having now is i just replaced the rotors calipers and brake pads on my 86 ranger 2wd the problem is is that the brake pads that are suppose to fit my vehicle, the torque buttons do not seat solidly in to my calipers I've bought 4 brake pads sets and three caliper sets but none the sets match up. Am i missing something here?
Are you using the "anti-rattle" clips that are supposed to be there on one end of the pad??

Final777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Are you using the "anti-rattle" clips that are supposed to be there on one end of the pad??
Yes i am and i finally solved my problem my truck was manufactured in late 86, do they used 1987 brake pads and caliper's on it the 87 brake pads are a little bit longer and they fit perfect!! Thank you so much for the reply

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Yes i am and i finally solved my problem my truck was manufactured in late 86, do they used 1987 brake pads and caliper's on it the 87 brake pads are a little bit longer and they fit perfect!! Thank you so much for the reply
I went through this with my 87. It was built late 86 as an 87 model. I needed a caliper and bought an late 87 caliper as it was in stock and cheaper. Then played hell with brake issues untill i found out that movement of the brake hose connection wasnt the only change.

Ford is so dumb sometimes

Final777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes they truly are sometimes thank you so much for all the support and hard work that all of u put into this site you guys are awesome!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals