• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fixed with forum help (Died during idle wont stay running)

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The TFI spark system runs off the ignition switch power and doesn't need computer for startup

The computer, and injectors, get power from the EEC Relay, but it shows power
The computer also needs the timing pulse from the TFI or it doesn't even know you are trying to start the engine, it has no connection to starter system
So when the computer "sees" the TFI pulse it starts to Ground the injectors, open them
Its a Batch Fire systems, so it opens 3 injectors at the same time on a V6 engine
So unlikely to be clogged injectors

Can you confirm fuel in the rail, not just pressure
I have fuel in the rail but havent pulled any injectors yet

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just press the pin in on the pressure test port and see if its gasoline that comes out, not air, lol, or water

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just press the pin in on the pressure test port and see if its gasoline that comes out, not air, lol, or water
I have fuel at the port. Lol not water (gave it the taste test to be sure just for yall) I ordered a tfi module so when that gets here I'll turn the old one into a plug and run wires into the cab going to mount it in the coolest place I can. Got a heat sink and fan off an old pc to bolt it into.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I have an update. Installed a new tfi no change to my issue. I did records my start up so yall can hear what I'm experiencing.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ordered new injectors and a aftermarket fuel pressure regulator with a gauge. Should be here Saturday.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Injectors and fuel regulator go on tomorrow.

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1987 manual 4x4 2.9l singlecab reg bed ranger.

Things I have replaced: tfi, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel tank, fuel pump high pressure, spark plugs, cap and rotor, plug wires, coil, map, cylinder heads, lifters, rockers, water pump, thermostat, temperature sensor, all battery wires and battery cables, ignition solenoid, ingnition key.

I had the truck idling after head replacement off and on for 3 weeks. And the day of registration it idled for 1h 45m straight than died. Now it will only run if fuel is added to the intake. What am I missing? Both pumps work and I'm getting fuel at the rail 40 psi.
vacuum leak. You have a big vacuum leak, check the purge valve regulator for broken connectors, check your emissions hose going from the purge valve regulator to the engine...check all the vacuum hoses , thats why its choking its not having oxygen to combust

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
New injectors and a fuel regulator/gauge. Found out I was loosing power to the high pressure pump. Wired it hot key on. Now I'm running when I crank it. But its dieing under load. Is there anything else tied into the fuel system that would stop it under load? At this point I might just sell the truck and go back to driving chevys

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
New injectors and a fuel regulator/gauge. Found out I was loosing power to the high pressure pump. Wired it hot key on. Now I'm running when I crank it. But its dieing under load. Is there anything else tied into the fuel system that would stop it under load? At this point I might just sell the truck and go back to driving chevys
You don't listen do you??
there are 2 things you need for combustion, or your engine dies. OXYGEN....... and FUEL. If you have a vacuum leak, your engine will not PULL IN OXYGEN to the chambers quick enough to combust the fuel and it will die quickly

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I replaced all the vacuums lines according to the vacuums sticker. There all new. Did that yesterday forgot to mention it.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That may be what's causing it to die when I put it in gear but not why it wouldnt start.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You don't listen do you??
there are 2 things you need for combustion, or your engine dies. OXYGEN....... and FUEL. If you have a vacuum leak, your engine will not PULL IN OXYGEN to the chambers quick enough to combust the fuel and it will die quickly
You need three things... spark fuel and compression. Also... a vacuum leak will allow MORE air in creating an abundance of air into the cylinders. On fuel injected engines... a vacuum leak will typically cause an elevated idle speed.

To the OP... have you put a fuel pressure gauge on this thing?

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You need Rusty when it comes to diagnosing a 2.9..... Anyone know where Rusty has been? Seems odd that he just stopped talking out of nowhere. Last I checked he hasn't posted since before Christmas..... Really wondering what the heck might of happened with him... He was always stirring the pot with his 2.9 and 460 antics. Him and petroleumjunkie seems to know the most about these old 2.9's. RonD seems to know the chilton and Haynes nooks by memory so he has a wealth of knowledge too which I know he already posted some. Good luck. 2.9's are not my cup o tea.... You could put a 3.0 in it and save you some engine troubles. lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals