Did you lift your 1998-2011 Ford Ranger 4x4?

Did you lift your 1998-2011 Ford Ranger 4x4?

• Bought the Superlift kit

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Bought the Superlift kit & installed a body lift

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Bought torsion keys and cranked the torsion bars

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Bought torsion keys, cranked the torsion bars, and installed a body lift

• Cranked the torsion bars with the factory keys

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Cranked the torsion bars & installed a body lift

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Only installed a body lift

• Total voters

Drw0392

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had planned on going with both aftermarket torsion bar keys and a 2-3" body lift. My question is what's the advantage of aftermarket torsion keys vs cranking the factory T-bars? Thanks y'all!

99 X-cab 4x4 4L/auto

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 173A8B749AB83C Expires: January 1, 2020

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
When the factory ones are fully cranked the suspension/angles are pretty much maxed out. The aftermarket ones gives a little more than that. Which in turn is even more stress on the front end.

sgtsandman

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011 & 2019
Make / Model
Ford XLT & FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC & 2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.5R15 & 265/65R17
I thought about a suspension lift until I read about the front drive shaft issues. I am considering getting earlier Ranger torsion keys and spring blocks or after market ones but that is about it. I wouldn't mind a lift but I don't want to hurt reliability doing it and I do not like body lifts.

MyBrother'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT 4 x 4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
My credo
Life is just a long string of stories.
I'm curious how many of you 1998-2011 Ford Ranger 4x4 owners lifted your Ranger, and whether you:

• Bought the Superlift kit
  • Cranked the torsion bars
  • Bought torsion keys (and cranked those)
  • Just used a body Lift
  • Did a Superlift & body lift
  • Did a torsion bar crank and body lift
And if you don't mind, click on the poll, but also post why you did or didn't go a specific route.

I've had the 1999 Ranger XLT 4X4, 3.73 LSD, 4.0L with tow package for 4 years and have just started to go off-road with it. The truck is showroom stock with the exception of manual lockers on the front replacing the vacuum hubs. How capable is this vehicle?
Should I start with skid plates or bumper and winch?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Your 99 Ranger should be fairly capable but will be limited in clearance. That limits where you can go to a degree but you can still go many places. You just need to be careful. I think it is better to start with taller tires like 31". That got me over a lot of stuff for many years but my 89 STX had the factory 1.5" lift also. I never used a winch but it can get you out of trouble if needed. Skid plates (and rock sliders) will help protect vulnerable areas, which you might need as you try rougher stuff. Learning where your differentials are and keeping the big rocks away from them is very important.

BTW, the term lockers is normally reserved for locking differentials. What you have is locking hubs which is a different thing.

I don't have a winch or rock sliders. I do have factory FX4 (Level II equivalent) skid plates which are not heavy armor but are better than standard factory skid plates. I also have 33" tires and 4.56 gears. That has just let me get into rougher stuff and I still have a few light scrapes on the bottom. I have not hit the differentials because I pay close attention to where the big rocks are.

MyBrother'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT 4 x 4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
My credo
Life is just a long string of stories.
Your 99 Ranger should be fairly capable but will be limited in clearance. That limits where you can go to a degree but you can still go many places. You just need to be careful. I think it is better to start with taller tires like 31". That got me over a lot of stuff for many years but my 89 STX had the factory 1.5" lift also. I never used a winch but it can get you out of trouble if needed. Skid plates (and rock sliders) will help protect vulnerable areas, which you might need as you try rougher stuff. Learning where your differentials are and keeping the big rocks away from them is very important.

BTW, the term lockers is normally reserved for locking differentials. What you have is locking hubs which is a different thing.

I don't have a winch or rock sliders. I do have factory FX4 (Level II equivalent) skid plates which are not heavy armor but are better than standard factory skid plates. I also have 33" tires and 4.56 gears. That has just let me get into rougher stuff and I still have a few light scrapes on the bottom. I have not hit the differentials because I pay close attention to where the big rocks are.
Thanks for the info. I just bought new tires two days ago. I should have asked this question first. The truck needed them as the spare was the original, 20 years old never on the ground. The other 4 tires were made in 2011 and showing signs of rot but still with plenty of tread.
Thank you for helping with the terminology on 'lockers.' I guess my rear diff is a locker with the LSD option.

Attachments