• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Destroyed Camshaft Position Sensor & Syncronizer

Quasimo1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I recently purchased a non-running 1995 Ford Ranger XL with the 3.0 engine. After troubleshooting a fuel issue I managed to get my Ranger to run but was greeted with a check engine light and a P0340 code. When I pulled the camshaft position sensor I was greeted with the below sight. My initial online research indicates that failure of the syncronizer can lead to engine oil starvation. My question to everyone is given the below damage, how screwed am I, and how would I go about checking that my engine is not destroyed?

Camshaft Sensor.jpg
Camshaft Sensor 2.jpg

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Drain the oil and see what it looks like.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
First I'd get one of those long 1/4" drill adapters and use it to run the oil pump and see what kind of pressure you can make, measuring with a mechanical gauge.

Then I'd drain the oil and see what it looks like. Drain it into a clean container and then filter it through a coffee filter to look for particulate. Also cut the filter open and look inside.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

You are probably fine, the sensor parts at the top of the synchro tower can disintegrate, as seen in the picture, without effecting the lower end with gear and oil pump drive

You can disable coil pack and have some one crank the engine over, you should see the towers center shaft rotate, that would be a good sign the oil pump never stopped working

Noyz81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2 X 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have had TWO engines ruined by bad sycronizers in my rangers and both times the gear that rides on the cam shaft was shredded, starving the engine of oil pressure. Removing the one bolt that holds the synchronizer to the engine block, removing the sycronizer, and looking at the gear on it will tell you a lot. Both times the cam was undamaged. Mark where it is currently orientated and/or buy the positioning tool for $20 on eBay.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I still want to know the root cause. Is it bad bearings or gears that are too soft, or poor lubrication, etc.? I will be pulling mine for a look soon.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bad bushing is the usual cause

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Bad bushing is the usual cause
That has made the most sense to me - it could lead to misalignment and from there to wear on the gear and damage to the sensor. But I wonder if it's really a lubrication problem or something they messed up with the busing? Considering the actual distributors of the earlier engines didn't have a problem it's hard to imagine what they got wrong.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That has made the most sense to me - it could lead to misalignment and from there to wear on the gear and damage to the sensor. But I wonder if it's really a lubrication problem or something they messed up with the busing? Considering the actual distributors of the earlier engines didn't have a problem it's hard to imagine what they got wrong.
But on the other hand it's been a known issue for almost 20 years, if the problem is with the part and not in the block somewhere why has it not been fixed with a revised part yet?

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
But on the other hand it's been a known issue for almost 20 years, if the problem is with the part and not in the block somewhere why has it not been fixed with a revised part yet?
True - but the block has been revised a few times during that period too, so they could have fixed the issue if it was the block as well.

It would be useful to understand the root cause so as to be able to actually fix it rather than replacing the thing continually. Or perhaps even avoid it. Some don't seem to have a problem - there are a lot of these engines out there and they didn't all fail, and most don't know anything about it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 3.0l Vulcan ran a distributor in that same hole for 8 years, 1986 to 1994, 3 years in Rangers, and they didn't have the bushing issue.

The Synchro is same setup with different top so it is puzzling as to why the bushing wears out on theses
And why Ford never look into it, or maybe they did and came up with, "Thats Puzzling?" lol.

Yes, if the gear or roll pin breaks the engine can be ruined, but that has been the case on any engines that used this type of oil pump drive, which includes 70+ years of engines, so it was never a common occurrence

And the gear or roll pin breaking shouldn't destroy the cam sensor...............just the engine, lol

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals