• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cowl Cleanout

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Original Poster:

Difficulty: 2 out of 10

Time to install:

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation:

Many a RBV has suffered from the cowl being plugged with leaves. Mainly 83-88 trucks with the big leaf eater slots along the bottom of the windshield. Leaves go down inside there and plug up the drains so water collects and when combined with leaves rots out the cowl which can be an expensive and complicated repair. Leaves contacting the hot blower motor resister is also a serious fire hazard. At best having the cowl plugged up can reduce airflow for the dash vents and defroster. I try to do it once a year and also try not to park under trees in the fall. The process is similar for 89-92 trucks but with the small round holes replacing the big slots in the cowl there is is much less chance of large debris getting trapped in the cowl. Ease of doing this will also vary depending on your engine and options. If you have A/C it is more complicated, different engines fill the engine bay differently too.

Tools Needed:
- Flashlight/Treble Light
- 5/16" nut driver (might be good to have a ratchet and socket if you have A/C or a ratchet wrench)
- 7/32" nut driver
- Something to scoop leaves (I use a distributor wrench)
- 10mm deepwell socket with ratchet and assorted extensions and a wobble (if you need to pull the blower/evap housing)

Parts Needed:
None

---------------------------------------------------------

Step 1:

There are three main access holes into the cowl system on a RBV highlighted in red:

It seems they usually accumulate more towards the drivers side for some reason so I usually start there. If your truck has a manual transmission use the 5/16" nut driver and remove the clutch reservoir (there is only one screw) from the drivers side access panel. Then use 7/32" nut driver to remove the three screws securing the cover itself.

Not much in there this time:

What it should look like all cleaned out, there is a rubber flap on the outside too:

When you are done reinstall the cover, if your truck is a manual don't forget the clutch reservoir too.

Step 2:

If you have to take anything off the engine to remove the center cover be sure to make sure to cover it so you don't get leaves somewhere you don't want them. I used a dish to cover my carburetor. Use the 7/32" nut driver to remove the three screws from the cover on the center of the firewall above the engine:

There isn't usually much there but it is easy enough to check, a person can also get a feel for what has drifted down towards the blower motor housing too. Once done there reinstall the covers with the three screws (and whatever else you had to take off the engine)

Step 3:

Mindful of the 30 year old plastic connectors by carefully unplugging the blower motor. Mindful of the 30 year old rubber disconnect the blower motor cooling hose. Using the 7/32" nut driver remove the three screws holding the blower motor to the blower motor housing and remove the blower. Set the blower motor safely aside so it doesn't fall and break.

Step 4A:

If your truck (like mine) does not have A/C now it gets kind of hairy.

Scoop out what you can (usually the fan chews them up and blows the bits thru the screen into the passenger compartment. This is the backside of the resistor, those wires are resisters that get hot to adjust the fan speed, I have heard of several fires caused by leaf buildup coming in contact with them. If it is really bad removing the housing is simple, disconnect the blower motor resistor and remove the nuts that retain the housing to the firewall with the 10mm deepwell/rachet, watch out as there is a rogue one on the inside of the cab you will need to remove too. My truck has a bodylift so the nuts between the blower motor housing and inner fender are easier to get at, you may need extensions and wobbles to get it done, it really depends on the set up of your truck.

Step 4B:

If your truck has A/C now it gets really hairy. So you gotta dig deeper. Air comes into the blower motor housing where it is highlighted in yellow but you have an evaporator that will prevent leaves and debris from getting thru the housing to the blower motor.

Your housing will look like this:

If you have room in your engine bay (mainly 4cyl trucks) you might be able to squeak off the access panel on the engine side of the evaporator housing and clean it out there. Access to the cover is pretty tight on V6 trucks:

Screws are here so you know where to look, use the 7/32" nutdriver or socket and ratchet:

Otherwise you may have to remove the entire housing if you can't get the cover off and then remove the access panel. Mindful of the 30+ year old connectors carefully unplug the blower motor and blower motor resistor. There are nuts all around to hold it on, there is one that has to come off the inside of the cab along the top of the carpet that will drive you nuts if you don't get it off. Use the 10mm deepwell socket/ratchet, my truck has a bodylift so the nuts between the blower motor housing and inner fender are easier to get at, you may need extensions and wobbles to get it done, it really depends on the set up of your truck. Be careful with the A/C stuff so you don't drop/bend/break things. While you have it in your hand you also might check that the evaporator is not plugged up with dirt too. Installation is reverse of the disassembly.

Step 5:

Now how to get at the leaves on the backside of the mesh... set the vent to "Outside Air Off"

Now get down on the passenger side floor board with your leaf scooping tool of choice, I have ok luck with half a distributor wrench:

There is a black plastic grate down there, with your flashlight you can see the leaves in there, now get to scooping! Go back and forth from the cab and engine sides of the firewall so you can see where you need to scoop.

If you can get an angled attachment for a vacuum that may be helpful too, I don't have one so I can't get the really small bits out.

Step 6:
Now reinstall your blower motor, be mindful of the blower motor orientation as it will only go in one way.

All done!

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It's probably getting about time for me to do this on the XLT. I can hear some leaves or Maple seeds fluttering around when the fan is turned on.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's probably getting about time for me to do this on the XLT. I can hear some leaves or Maple seeds fluttering around when the fan is turned on.
Just add water and they will turn into trees and not flutter around!

Seriously though, for all I know the process on your '11 may be similar to getting tribbles out of a Romulan Warbird.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Just add water and they will turn into trees and not flutter around!

Seriously though, for all I know the process on your '11 may be similar to getting tribbles out of a Romulan Warbird.
I seem to remember there being some access plates similar to what is posted above in the 1998 when I did the engine swap. I'm assuming the 2011 will be the same. Worse comes to worse, I'll just pull the fan and fish out what I can from there.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
That's the trouble with tribbles....

Which is nothing

Wait until I rat you out to your wife for using the Tupperware as a carb cover.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Just a weird note, but I pulled the cowl cover plates off when I put my headers on to try to get airflow down into the engine bay. No leaves since.

Also it makes using the fan while sitting in traffic in warm weather miserable because the cabin blower sucks in the hot air from under the hood.

It's a trade off to me.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
one time with my 93 there was some really fine-grained sleet, alot of it, so much that it filled the cowl area enough and the wipers wouldnt work due the linkage being bound up in the ice. I wish that whole top plate was removeable, Its a real bitch trying to hook up wipers through that center access hole in the middle.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wait until I rat you out to your wife for using the Tupperware as a carb cover.
You can try, that one is mine. :cool:

When wifey moved in it moved out because it didn't go with her set.

one time with my 93 there was some really fine-grained sleet, alot of it, so much that it filled the cowl area enough and the wipers wouldnt work due the linkage being bound up in the ice. I wish that whole top plate was removeable, Its a real bitch trying to hook up wipers through that center access hole in the middle.
If it was removable I would swap in a later cowl panel too... which I wouldn’t mind doing at some point anyway.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Its too bad the cowl sheet metal goes under the glass. If I ever have enough time I'm going to figure out a removable cowl just like the big boys have.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Its too bad the cowl sheet metal goes under the glass. If I ever have enough time I'm going to figure out a removable cowl just like the big boys have.
Dude. Please. The leaf catcher sucks. Wouldn't be so bad if you could take the top plate off.

Thanks, Ford!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dude. Please. The leaf catcher sucks. Wouldn't be so bad if you could take the top plate off.

Thanks, Ford!
Fun fact, first gen Mustangs shipped with bare steel inner cowls. The only paint they had was what drifted in when they painted the car. And thus most have really horrid cowls because it takes a lot of money to fix something nobody ever sees...

I am tempted to have the windshield resealed/replaced when I strip the truck to paint it. Sucky part is I would have to do the same to a donor as well. It would be nice if someone would repop that part...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
You can try, that one is mine. :cool:

When wifey moved in it moved out because it didn't go with her set.

Well that sux.

Was planning on extorting a case of count chocula out of this situation...

Floridacatfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
I know this is not a help section but I’m afraid I won’t get much traction in the explorer section - ideas are appreciated

I apparently had water caught in the wiper cowl and covered it up with silicone 5 years - it has become a rust through situation - the surface is below a stiffener and difficult to work with. There are 2 spot welds where the corrosion was worst - I don’t have a welder and the shape is tough - any ideas would be helpful

34033A26-2301-4AC5-B6CD-E01CF6F3B4C5.jpeg
73702369-5CF0-4F54-8113-6C1029D739D4.jpeg
C6E44105-E93A-4E98-917F-ACC157B91BA3.jpeg
936651EE-7865-4B87-BD05-FF95810FE866.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I was thinking about this the other day for my 87. I was contemplating removing the factory "resistor" wound wires and resistance testing them, and then replacing them with actual resistors meant for electronics.. I'm not sure how viable this is, but it would reduce a major fire hazard for these old trucks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals