• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cooling Fan from 01 4.0 SOHC to 93 4.0

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have wanted for a long time to get a better cooling fan (which mostly I think means more blades) for my 93 4.0 as it has numerous cracks, and runs warm when idling with AC, but times and money largely wouldn't permit it. Today I noticed one in a wrecking yard on an 01 4.0 SOHC which had more blades than I wanted to try counting, and has a clutch that spins very freely and immediately thought about my long time wish, but I have several questions about doing this.
First is would it work? Although I didn't measure the diameter I'm fairly certain from other searches and some experience they both have the same size nut and RH threads.
Next is HP. I think the newer engines have rated substantially increased HP, could putting a newer fan with a greater number of blades require substantially more turning power throughout all the stages, from an idle to highway speeds.
Third is do you think it would be worth using, in lew of a new stock higher output fan, which I think includes one or two more blades than the regular stock blade it has now.

Thank you in advance for any input/insight you might provide/suggest

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Do it.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thank you very much adsm08. I will certainly follow through/carry it on.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got around to swapping fans today, and changing the oil(saw that video yesterday about lube, lots better to change the oil than the motor, so I'm back to 3k now). Here's the new 01 fan swap with the old 93 cracked one. I found it in a pickers yard(pull and pay type place) and hoped it would work, at least the fan part as mine was cracked when first noticing it 100,000 miles ago. I priced one then was $100 for the higher output 10 blade, mine was 9. The fan and clutch cost 30, and swapped out fine. Both clutches seemed to have about the same resistance to turning on the bench.
Now I've got wind currents where I never noticed them before, and an extra clutch I can clean up and keep for back-up. Thank you adsm08 for encouraging me to go for it :)

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The pickers places have a Labor Day half price thing starting tomorrow, I'll be out there scavenging, haha

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I noticed my 2001 was cracked when I pulled it down for the rebuild. Got a brand new one from AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake for $53.55. Couldn't tell you exactly what shipping might be since I ordered a bunch of other stuff at the same time. I'm sure you got the pick-n-pull one substantially cheaper, just thought I'd share.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah G8, the price I got was from a parts store and was for, not a stock, but the higher output fan, and that was about 12 years ago.
Today I drove maybe a hundred miles, some city, some highway, and it was another 100 degree day. I fortunately got a good fan, with the same extra blade the high output one had, and watched the temperature gauge, it stayed considerably lower today than it has all summer.
I am Very pleased with it, and want to say thank you again to Mr adsm08, his advice was Right-on!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals