• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Considering buying a 2003 Ranger

JBACA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Rangers- I really appreciate your input on this Truck I want to buy..
I've always wanted a Ranger. I m considering buying a 2003 Ranger. 2.5 l step side. Standard. A good friend owns it and selling it. 145k. Very clean AZ Truck. Well kept. The issue with it is the fuel injectors need to be replaced. When you start it , it runs like shit. Misfires . Sounds like its gonna blow. Hes got an estimate from his mechanic that's says it needs fuel injectors and both sensors replaced. I went over and compression tested it - All all 4 cylinders are above 185 psi. He says it's good to go otherwise. I'm 99% on buying it for 2k and fixing it.
I've done injectors on my 4.0 Jeep and that job sucked bad. Lots of work. My questions are:
Is this 2.3l difficult to replace the injectors on? Looks easier but ya never know.
2. Are these good trucks?
Is $2000 good deal?
I have a 93 Mustang w. A 2.3L and I love it.
Thank you much!
JB

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello JBACA. (edited: My apologies sir, I suppose that would also disclose my great knowledge of Star Wars)
Welcome to TRS :)

Injectors aren't that hard. I took my first journey into some on a 4.0 just a few weeks ago.
Nothing between you and them but a few wrenches and maybe a few choice words.
You'll likely want a good repair manual to consult, but it isn't rocket science, altho maybe on the verge.

As to your other question, that's a good one. I'm not at all familiar with market values and such, but guess another man might walk in there and get it for half that, a lot of which likely depicts his integrity, and yours.
I can't answer it for you, but as I stated, I'm not at all familiar with current pricing or values

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The 2.5 wasn't available in 2003 so I assume you mean the 2.3. It's also not the same engine as your mustang. Not even close.

As for your questions. No the injectors are not hard to replace. And number two $2,000 is way too much for a truck that doesn't work. The chances of all 4 injectors being bad is astronomical. Just because it has a peice of paper saying this is what's wrong, doesnt mean that's what's wrong. What are the codes? What else was tested?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need to figure out which engine it has. As Dirtman stated, the 2.5 was not available after the middle of 2001. That was the last of the iron block, SOHC, 8 valve, Lima 4 cylinders like your Mustang. Anything newer than the middle of 2001 would have an all aluminum, DOHC, 16valve, Duratec 4 cylinder. The Duratec and Lima platforms share zero. Not even bellhousing bolt pattern.

If it's got a Lima, it's either been swapped (which would be tons of work for a downgrade), or it's not an 03.

Markets will vary somewhat, but I sold my 01 Duratec/5spd truck with about 180k miles for $3000 to a neighbor about 18 months ago. But it ran well. $2k for the truck you're describing in running condition would be a good deal. $2k for that truck with bad misfire issues that you can't verify seems like a gamble to me. Injectors and O2s are easy to replace if you've got any mechanical ability at all, but to do all of them (assuming new parts) you're still looking at a few hundred dollars, even DIY with aftermarket (non OEM) parts.

Overall, I loved my Duratec/5 spd truck. It had enough power for my needs, and got 30mpg on my daily commute. It was a no frills vehicle, but it was new enough to be reliable, efficient, and clean (emissions wise). With the step side bed, rust is less of an issue too.
My only complaints with the truck related to the coolant system. The Duratec runs pretty hot, and that seems to wreak havoc on plastics in the cooling system. I went through about 1 heater control valve per year. The coolant overflow tank cracked and had to be replaced, and there's a complex metal/rubber coolant line that runs down the drivers side of the cylinder head, around the back, and up the passenger side where it connects to the overflow tank. If that leaks, it's a time consuming and expensive repair at a shop (I think my quote was $1200-1500 but it's been a few years). I did it in my driveway but it was a pain in the ass that I hope to never deal with again.

JBACA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the information. Yea. It's a 2.3L and I will go over and see what codes it has. 2k - yea. Too much for non Running.
Anything else I should check for?
I checked the compression. 185 to 190 psi on all cylinders.
I'm not related to any Star Wars characters.....unfortunately.
Thanks again......very helpful information.

JBACA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Another question for you Gents: Can I test for codes w/ the engine off? I dont want to turn it on cause it runs very rough. I'm concerned I'll ruin something. Again. I believe a couple of the Fuel injectors are bad.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I believe you can JBACA, just turn the key on

JBACA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Josh. Any other suggestions on what to check other than codes? I'm only asking about the engine. If the compression is good and the engine codes check out.......is there anything else I should check? The Transmission was fine . Thanks much!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
2003 will still have the "swirl flaps of death" Intake runner control system, listen for any clacking noise. This can mean the butterfly valves are worn or broken. The duratec is a noisy engine though so some ticking and clanking is normal

Check very carefully for coolant leaks, get underneath and look at the back of the engine. There is a pain in the ass line back there that if it leaks requires removing the transmission to fix.

Ask when the pcv valve was last replaced. The pcv valve on these engines is down on the side of the block and requires removing the wheel and inner fender to replace so most people never change it. Which means oil leaks start, and the intake, throttle body, and intake valves get disgusting.

JBACA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Josh B and Dirtman. If anyone else has suggestions please send it over. This helps alot. Thanks!

JBACA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I went over again and check the OBDII codes. Any red Flags here? Its a 2.3L 2003 Ranger. Standard This is just what I came up with using a internet Search for the 4 codes..
P0316, - Misfire on Start up. Could this Thansk be anything else?
P2195, - o2 sensor Stuck Lean
P0300, Not Sure
P0301. Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
Thanks !!!!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
P0300 is random misfire. So basically the engine is misfiring like crazy. Tons of reasons for this... I'd just walk away unless the owner fixes it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals