• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Considering a V8 swap

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What did you do for the transmission cross member in your build?
I used the transmission mount and crossmember and drive shaft from my 1990 which was a 2wd 2.3 5 speed which uses the m5odr1 transmission.

The only thing for my truck to consider is the shifter location from a 88-95 f150 5 speed manual (m5odr2) is 2 inches forward from the rangers (m5odr1) I made a hurst style shifter from a piece of flat stock steel and a bolt tig welded it and heat and bent it.

I used a flywheel from an f150 and the slave from the f150 which according to rock auto is the same part number from a 90 ranger and 90 f150 for the luk brand. Get 4.0 rubber motor mounts and those adapter plates from ricks rangers. For a mild to stock build. Get solid mounts for alot of power

Get the L&L products oil filter relocation kit

84_Beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Your bio says you are in California. If this is true you should first find out what you are allowed to do. I moved to Colorado with an ’84 Ranger running the drive train out of a ‘76 Bronco to include the 302 engine, C4 Trans, Dana 20 and both axles. I actually bought the Bronco for $400, it was a rust bucket. And before anyone calls BS, I bought that Bronco in 1986, before they became unobtainable. My point is, what was emissions legal in Maryland, a 4 barrel carb and Comp Cams 280M setup, was not in CO. CO said I had to have “a computer controlled fuel delivery system”. Which I guess is what Ford called their OEM carb setup on the 2.8L in ‘84. I have since installed an entire 5.0L EFI system on the ‘76 motor. I had to replace the cam, install cross-bar lifters, and replace the heads with ones that accepted air injection tubes. I also had to installl all the emissions crap and buy a new 5.0 wiring harness to hock it all togther. Basically I did it all to keep the forged pistons I put in the engine and the fact I knew the history of the engine since its rebuild in ‘86. Was it worth it, probably not worth it considering all the time and crap I had to buy. My vote would be to go the Explorer 5.0 route and installed a distributor and run a A9L ECM. But do yourself a favor and research every angle BEFORE you start your build and find out what is legal where you plan to register the vehicle, this will save you a lot of time, money and heartache!

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I used the transmission mount and crossmember and drive shaft from my 1990 which was a 2wd 2.3 5 speed which uses the m5odr1 transmission.

The only thing for my truck to consider is the shifter location from a 88-95 f150 5 speed manual (m5odr2) is 2 inches forward from the rangers (m5odr1) I made a hurst style shifter from a piece of flat stock steel and a bolt tig welded it and heat and bent it.

I used a flywheel from an f150 and the slave from the f150 which according to rock auto is the same part number from a 90 ranger and 90 f150 for the luk brand. Get 4.0 rubber motor mounts and those adapter plates from ricks rangers. For a mild to stock build. Get solid mounts for alot of power

Get the L&L products oil filter relocation kit

Thank you so much this is all super helpful!

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Your bio says you are in California. If this is true you should first find out what you are allowed to do. I moved to Colorado with an ’84 Ranger running the drive train out of a ‘76 Bronco to include the 302 engine, C4 Trans, Dana 20 and both axles. I actually bought the Bronco for $400, it was a rust bucket. And before anyone calls BS, I bought that Bronco in 1986, before they became unobtainable. My point is, what was emissions legal in Maryland, a 4 barrel carb and Comp Cams 280M setup, was not in CO. CO said I had to have “a computer controlled fuel delivery system”. Which I guess is what Ford called their OEM carb setup on the 2.8L in ‘84. I have since installed an entire 5.0L EFI system on the ‘76 motor. I had to replace the cam, install cross-bar lifters, and replace the heads with ones that accepted air injection tubes. I also had to installl all the emissions crap and buy a new 5.0 wiring harness to hock it all togther. Basically I did it all to keep the forged pistons I put in the engine and the fact I knew the history of the engine since its rebuild in ‘86. Was it worth it, probably not worth it considering all the time and crap I had to buy. My vote would be to go the Explorer 5.0 route and installed a distributor and run a A9L ECM. But do yourself a favor and research every angle BEFORE you start your build and find out what is legal where you plan to register the vehicle, this will save you a lot of time, money and heartache!
Everything that I plan on doing is completely illegal in California. I have a way to register the vehicle in Oregon so I don't have to worry about smog laws. I don't plan on starting the swap for at least another year until I get accepted into college so I have plenty of time to research.

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What do you all think about the M50d r2 vs the T5 transmissions? I have an M50dr1 right now paired to my 2.9L and I hate it. Also what are your thoughts on rear end ratios? When I swap to the 8.8 inch axle, how could I add ABS to the rear wheels?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
What do you all think about the M50d r2 vs the T5 transmissions? I have an M50dr1 right now paired to my 2.9L and I hate it. Also what are your thoughts on rear end ratios? When I swap to the 8.8 inch axle, how could I add ABS to the rear wheels?
You watch now, treading awful close to the list.

Also, anyone know if Vermont titles work in California? Stoopid easy work around for emissions laws if so.

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You watch now, treading awful close to the list.

Also, anyone know if Vermont titles work in California? Stoopid easy work around for emissions laws if so.
What did you mean in the first part? Also Vermont titles should work in California. It's more difficult to register an out of state vehicle here tho. You need to get smog+ a vehicle inspection from the DMV.

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I believe its impossible to register an engine swapped vehicle from out of state in CA. don't quote me on this, but i believe all the numbers on the vehicle have to be matching to pass the inspection. You can easily find the inspection sheet on google to check this.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Just run your VT plates. Vermont doesn't require residency to have a vehicle registered there.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you are going to make power go with a (((BUILT))) T5 if you are going to daily driver a 300hp -350hp go with The M5ODR2.

Since you live in that communist country, dont even waste your time and money until you get to the United States.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals