• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

compatible swaps. 30yr difference Auto -->> Manual.

weso1234

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
My buddy rolled his 2000 2wd ranger with 3.0L V6 an manual trans. This truck has been recovered and dose still run an drive but is in no condition to drive around town. its crushed pretty good.

Today we went an picked up a recently painted 1987 2wd for an awesome price. This ranger has the 2.3L 4cyl with an automatic trans but the trans is in 100 pieces in the bed of the truck.

Can I put the manual trans from the 200 in to the 87? I'm aware I will have to add the 3rd pedal assemble and the hydraulics to the fire wall.
What transmissions or what year vehicles can I salvage a compatible trans from ?

Trying to get this done for a friend who now has no vehicle an very limited funds. Any info is greatly appreciated.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 2 engines do NOT have the same bellhousing bolt pattern and will not interchange.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
If you're using the 2.3, you'll need a transmission from a ranger or mustang with the 2.3. Ford also made a 2.0 and 2.5 version of the 4 cylinder Lima engine and those would work too.

Ford changed the pedals in '88, so you'll need pedals from an '87 or older I believe

You'll also need a flywheel, clutch, starter, etc

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Why not just remove the 2.3 engine and trans, and swap in the newer Drive train into the older truck. (complete swap)

weso1234

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Why not just remove the 2.3 engine and trans, and swap in the newer Drive train into the older truck. (complete swap)
I have considered that option. How ever then i have the added time of pulling both motors as well as any nessasary electronics emissions conputers and its for a friend who has no automotive knowlage. i have projects of my own id like to get back to asap so the simpler the process the better. Personally id put a v8 in it if i went as far as pulling the motor an it was mine

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I have considered that option. How ever then i have the added time of pulling both motors as well as any nessasary electronics emissions conputers and its for a friend who has no automotive knowlage. i have projects of my own id like to get back to asap so the simpler the process the better. Personally id put a v8 in it if i went as far as pulling the motor an it was mine
But it keeps you from having to get a Mustang tranny or whatever parts you may need, like BlackBII said. You literally have everything you need at your disposal. Like alwaysfloored said, that tranny will not bolt to that motor. ( non-removable bell housings) So unless you can sale, swap or trade to get what you need, which seems like more time and trouble, I would just do the complete swap. Unless you know somebody with a V8 Expo/Mounty they're willing to trade for a flipped 3.0 Ranger.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Sell both, buy new truck...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals